• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No start...has me stumped (searched the no start threads and I'm a little confused)

Don't rule out the CPS just because nothing happened when you unplugged/replugged it- those things aren't foolproof. I unplugged and replugged mine a dozen times in a vain attempt to get it to work "one last time". I got it home, let it sit overnight. Went out in the morning, and crank-crank-crank, no fire. Unplugged/replugged another half dozen times, every time crank-crank-crank, no fire. Went out and bought a new CPS and installed it, and on the first twist, it fired up like nothing was ever wrong.
Give it a shot- it's a PITA to get to, I'll give ya that (I removed my hood so I could do some work from the top), but I'd bet easy money that's your problem.

Re: No start...has me stumped (searched the no start threads and I'm a little confused)

Final verdict is in...

CPS shorted against the bell housing causing the computer to scramble...Thankfully they were able to flash the computer and get it back up...then pulled the codes and found the CPS as the problem...

Once the computer was back up she fired up with the old CPS....until it scrambled the computer again...

Either way she's up and running again...with a new CPS...

Matt

Wonder if the cable melted or it was an internal short, see if they saved the old one and let us know.

Re: No start...has me stumped (searched the no start threads and I'm a little confused)

I actually have the old one...

The wires actually more or less rubbed through their insulation from rubbing aginst the bell housing...

Also one of the pins in the connector was loose and would intermittently lose contact...which might help to explain the crappy mileage I've been getting lately...

Matt

I had a problem like that on my 87 XJ turned out to be the crank sensor. Sometimes unplugging the cps harness and plugging it back in will get it started so u can limp it home and fix it more comfortably there. Unplugging the cps worked for me and was able to drive home where i promptly ordered a new and replaced it. Hope that helps

if you have an keyless entry or alarm on it that can sometimes not let it start. happened on this ford worktruck ata jobsite one time

is it hard the replace the cps besides the location?

My heep had the same problem. CPS acting funny . Unplugged it plugged it back in started right up.:rof:

Back