• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No more BFG KM's???

Big_JermsXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I just called around several places and nobody has the old BFG mud terrains. And i mean nobody, 4wp has 3 in hawaii, Discount, goodyead, and NTB don't have any. Apparently BFG stopped making them,lastara. The good news is they make the KM2 in every shape and size now. $20 more a tire, oh well I guess i don't need to eat next month.

You might check with tire dealers who buy from an Am-Pac tire distributor. My local distributor is showing at set of 4 tires in the KM's in a few different sizes.

I've always wanted a set of BFG KM's but it look like I won't get my wish. I don't really care for the looks of the new KM2's.

I don't really care for the looks of the new KM2's.

You think they look like crap?
DSC00685.jpg

:moon:

Have ya thought about Definity Dakota M/T's?

I've never used them, but I've heard some real good things about them. $400ish for a set of 4 mounted, balanced, tax, etc. They have a 40,000 warranty too. I hear they are quieter and have better traction than the BFG's also.

Just a thought.

9527388_definity-dakotamt.jpg

You think they look like crap?
DSC00685.jpg

:moon:

Looks like crap to me. :looney:

I didn't say I thought the KM2's looked like crap. I just like the old school look of the KM much better.

Have ya thought about Definity Dakota M/T's?

I've never used them, but I've heard some real good things about them. $400ish for a set of 4 mounted, balanced, tax, etc. They have a 40,000 warranty too. I hear they are quieter and have better traction than the BFG's also.

Just a thought.

Where would i go about getting some of those, never seen 'em?
I'll look into them but i am partial to BFG. I've had 2 sets of the A/Ts, which i know are a whole other animal than the M/Ts, but i loved em.... unless i was offroad and it was wet... AT ALL. Even morning dew would make those things lose all traction.

They are made by Cooper and sold at Pep Boys.

Do some reading online about the experience other have had with the Dakotas. Everything I have read says that they are better than the BFG's. They even perform well when wet.

Again, I've never owned a set, so I'm just repeating what others have said.

I've seen them on the trails on a friends open/open stock yj. Did pretty damn well and he still has them 2 years later, though he's finally looking for a new set. I wouldn't hesitate to reccomend them as a good low budget tire. Way better than Dunlop mud rover for the rocks for sure.

Well they're gonna gave about a year and a half of road service before they get retired to trail only, mainly just trips to the grocery store and back and the occasional road trip (maybe to CO or Moab). as far as wheeling i don't like "mudding" but i hate my A/T's zero traction in the mud. And as lond as they're okay on the rocks ill be happy. The good ol' BFG M/Ts would be perfect but i'm partial to my kidneys

here is my take on tires as of last week

Dunlop mud rovers are not the same pattern as BFG KM1 and is not a great tire. Compound is hard and I've seen whole lugs chunk off in the rocks. They do ok in the mud.

SSR, I like this tire, bites well, pulls well and stays together well.

IROK ND A radial, with bad wear characteristics, good mud traction and decent rock traction only available in 16" flavors, and all sold out for now except for 32".

Thornturd... never before or since have I ever been stuck on flat ground and not been bottomed out in the mud. May as well have been on drag slicks.

CO-OP Mudder. Excellent traction tire. Out performed everything I have ever put in the mud, never got to run them on rocks. Basically old school buckshot (not the new school crap) Very narrow tire ( I ran a 35x9.50) but was truly unbeatable in the mud. I really can't say enough good about those tires, but again I never tested them on rocks.

MTR Solid performer, Strong sidewalls, excellent rock, decent mud. I have idled up where guys on 38" TSLs had to winch in the rocks.

TSL Very good traction in mud, excellent in Gilmer, not quite as good in Hot Springs, really really good in the mud. not a radial.

Bogger. Superb traction in mud, excellent in Gilmer, not so much in Hot Springs, but still decent .no radial available also there may be some issues with side hill holding in off camber situations. As A side note I have nwitnessed more people with bias swampers losing a bead than any other tires. Very very short lifespan.

BFG AT KO Decent all around tire, more sidewall flex than other AT's I have driven , but all around more traction than any other AT, and a very long lasting tire.

IROK awesome tire, shorter lifespan, not terrific in the mud but excellent on the rocks.

BFG KM1 I have never heard a bad word about them. I have also never seen them run, but hear they wear well and have decent all around performance.

KM2 No experience

Hankook Dynapro MT I have witnessed Jason Duval use these on his jeep and I must say that for an inexpensive tire they are really grippy, he would have to answer questions about longevity.

Nitto Mud Grapplers. I have never heard anything good about these tires. From "they wear fast" to "they don't hook up worth a crap"

Pit Bull Rocker. I have not seen them in person but talked to someone with a truggy that ran them and said that compared to the TSL SX that he was running before they were like a dream come true. (this was in Hot Springs)

Trxus MT. Appear to have decent traction, but I have seen a sidewall or 2 cut and heard of others with the same issue. They seem to be a long lasting MT otherwise.

Hope this helps.

Back