• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No cost hood vents...W/a little How to...

yea and some asshats have put 1in square between the hinges and the hood...but again....WHY?!!!?!?!?!?!?!?

if you have overheating issues...its not because you dont have stylish vents in the hood or a sweet hotrod cowl....its probly because you need a water pump, radiator, or a new electric fan on switch or lower degree setting...

Why do you hate hood vents so bad? I put some in to help out but largely because I like the look of em. My Jeep has run hot almost as long as I've owned it, and I've had brand new radiator, water pump, fan clutch, all that. If you're needing to add a switch or run a lower temp thermostat, you're just putting a band aid on a problem just like hood vents.

yea and some asshats have put 1in square between the hinges and the hood...but again....WHY?!!!?!?!?!?!?!?

if you have overheating issues...its not because you dont have stylish vents in the hood or a sweet hotrod cowl....its probly because you need a water pump, radiator, or a new electric fan on switch or lower degree setting...

Thank you for your thoughts.

Now, now. Check out my signature. There is little more I can do about the Cooling System. I never complained about overheating on this Thread. I only reported my Temps.

In Tampa, Florida the Temp here is in the upper 90s for most of the year. It never hurts to try to cool down things, especially a hot engine compartment.

fair enough...just seems like some of you guys are just itchin to do mods to your jeeps, even if they dont really do much to help performance, just to do somethin...and i just dont like cutting holes in my hood...

i understand FL heat for sure...im from Clearwater...it can be brutal...but what about the guys out west that have no issues in 100+ heat?

I just want to do mine for fun. My XJ isnt new and I enjoy doing what I can on it even if it is not for a real purpose :). It keeps me from wishing I had more $$ to do cool mods that I would really love to do, especially since I have just got hit by my ex for 300 more a month plus paycuts from work etc :). As of right now I just enjoy doing what little things I can do/afford.

I do live in the desert and venting the heat off engine I would think would help out in slow speeds/crawling, even if my engine doesnt overheat should electronics and such cooler which cant hurt IMHO :).

Check out Go-jeep's webpage:
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoBonnetVents.htmHe actually measured some before/after temps(seems to be a fairly scientifically minded guy)and found some pretty good results.

I don't have any cooling problems(runs right around the 210 mark, up or down a little depending on load and outside weather) but I'd like to see some lower underhood temps for battery/electronics life

I just want to do mine for fun. My XJ isnt new and I enjoy doing what I can on it even if it is not for a real purpose :). It keeps me from wishing I had more $$ to do cool mods that I would really love to do, especially since I have just got hit by my ex for 300 more a month plus paycuts from work etc :). As of right now I just enjoy doing what little things I can do/afford.

I do live in the desert and venting the heat off engine I would think would help out in slow speeds/crawling, even if my engine doesnt overheat should electronics and such cooler which cant hurt IMHO :).

very good point sir...sorry about the business with the ex!

very good point sir...sorry about the business with the ex!

Thank you for your concern :).

What kind of gauges do you all use for temp? I currently just have the stock Idiot light in mine and would like to upgrade/install one, but I have never done one as of yet either :).

Yeah- I agree-GREAT JOB! McGYVER.

I was actually sketching out ideas for louvered vents that can be controlled
with a twist rod to open and close the vents from beneath and through the dash.
Still working on it....don't know if I'll ever strike gold...
Might just chop up my old MR2 engine lid and transplant it.

One important thing to remember when it comes to Engine and Engine Compartment Temps.

The Radiator must be kept clear of all Obstacles, Debris, or Mud or Temps are sure to Rise. If it needs cleaning... do NOT use Pressure or the Fins will Collapse and restrict Air Flow.

Just a Thought.

Serious. I creep for hours on end in 100 degree weather and I don't need vents. Once at higher altitude I had a bit of vapor lock but after wrapping the fuel rail, fue injectors, and fuel line in heat reflective tape, I haven't had a reoccurance. Also, I'm absolutely amazed at the ghetto mods that go congradulated around here. It's cool that people are kind, but damn.
AS you are not a paid member maybe you should not be criticizing paid members

Back