• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Night Vision

again, cheep IR sources are not hard to find, maybe an army/navy store.

Nothing a cheap power converter can't enchance... :smootch:

I don't think I'll be using that particular camera. The one I have now is about like that and it's not amazing. I'm lookin for ones with a few more lines and stuff. Found a few, just figuring out which is best.

But, I may get it for home security. The one I got from wally world was cool. I could look down the hall with it being totally black and could see things really well. Also played with the little IR light on the TV remote, good times there. I'll play with it more tonight once I get the cord untangled.

With regard to the illuminators...

Kill two birds with one stone. Pick up some Lightforce RMDL170's. You can use them for standard lighting, or add the IR filters

RMDL170 - http://www.jeepin.com/features/lightforce/index.asp
lightforce07.jpg

LightForce IR Filters:
LF8314IR.jpg

I was just going to mention the lightforce lights with IR filters(actually non-IR filters I guess). They should provide enough usable light for a camera system. What would the rang eon the camera be?

4 Wheel drive and offorad put a nightvison system on their Tundra they build and seemed to work well. Areas that would be nice to use it would be rain, fog, snow, ect for just a bit extra range.

Those are pretty sweet lights. First I seen em. I like that they have the IR filters. I was going to get filters for a spotlight, but I can't find any.

Does anyone know where to get IR filters for spotlights? I was thinking about getting the ones from those lights and making them work for a spotlight, if I could. Any info would be great.

Sand

So....you are going to use a cheap camera....and a light that only emits IR....you do realize that your vision with the camera will be WORSE than just your eyes and a normal light....right?

Rev

Rev Den said:
So....you are going to use a cheap camera....and a light that only emits IR....you do realize that your vision with the camera will be WORSE than just your eyes and a normal light....right?

Rev

We tried to get that across, but...

Driving on monocular (one objective lens, one amplifier tube, one or two eyes in use) night vision is dangerous unless you are going very slow. You have zero depth perception and even with a wide 35 to 60 degree lens you have tunnel vision compared to the human eye at night. You also get a grossly distorted sense of speed. Using a high power illumnator will cause a lot of back splash due to dust, pollen, bugs etc in the air which add noise to the image. You need to diffuse the illuminator and offset it from the line of vision by 8 or 10 feet to minimze the effects.

John

Hahaha. No it didn't miss the station. I was just desparate, stubborn, and cheaping out. IF I decide to put a camera on the roof, I'll go for a thermal cam, which wont be for at least a year. I'll have to see how much it will benefit me having it, since there may be other reasons to mount one on in the future. But for now, I'm saving up for summer, and when it's summer I'll get to building on the Jeep.

Anywho, thanks for talking sense into me. And who knows, there may be a writeup on here in a year for a Jeep mounted thermal cam. Oh yeah, btw, I took the IR cam back to walmart and bought a video game, figured I'd get more use outta it.

Sand

Back