• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Nice to see NAXJA got invited...

Check my post in the motion thread for more on my take of this issue.

Bottom line though........ the good deed was done. Seth's memorial is in place, the trail has it's BLM designation and will be MUCH harder to fall victim to closure. It serves as an excellent example of how to get things done.

COHVCO dropped the ball and this isn't the first time. They're organization is a mess. I'm surprised it's still functioning. They went through some 'restructuring' a while back and better people volunteered to get things back on track, so the delay in the placement of the plaque is somewhat understandable. Unfortunately, Val and others dropped the ball in keeping everyone in the loop.

Let's not get hateful with CO4x4 - it's not an organization with a BOD. It's just a forum. It sucks that they moderate more than they should, but it is what it is. The folks over there just need reminded that all things aren't and can't always be roses and sunshine.

Not registered over there, but that last post by this Val girl...

Being a smart ass and then saying let it drop, who does she think she is? Good thing i never reg'd, that childish type is something i stopped dealing with about 10 years ago. hate people like that.

I am totally dumbfounded by this whole thing!!! I do not know this Val and from the looks of it I will never want to!!!! I like you all would have wanted to be there! I am at a loss for words................. well any good ones that is!! I love this sport and I love my Country, something Seth paid the ultimate price for! For the record I will no longer financially support CO4X4 anymore........... TOTALY UPSET HERE!!

If an email list, PM list or some other form of list for people that want to be contacted about a M&G, trail run or gathering at the memorial exists I would like to be added to it.

I feel as though COHVCO and the BLM dropped the ball on letting people know that this was going to happen. They should have been on top of it and let the wheeling community and the family know that this was going to happen. CO4X4 had no part in any of this. Anyone can post there about anything and that is where a post was made that let everyone know that the memorial stone was put in place. I had been watching the posts in the staging area on CO4X4 about the Indy cleanup and never saw anything that would have led me to believe that the memorial stone was going to be put up. I couldn't make it for the cleanup so I would have missed it anyway. The responsibility for getting the information out lies with COHVCO, not with CO4X4. There is nothing on http://www.cohvco.org/ about it at all, not even after the fact.

It has been a long standing rule on CO4X4 that personal attacks or derogatory comments and any aftermath from them get deleted. I know that I wouldn't have wanted Seth's family or close friends to see the things that were posted there yesterday.

I am really pleased that COHVCO and the BLM, people here at NAXJA and people like myself from CO4X4 have been able to make this memorial to Seth possible. I would hope that this is something that could continue for others in our sport and community and something that would make us a closer group not tear it apart.

I feel as though COHVCO and the BLM dropped the ball on letting people know that this was going to happen. They should have been on top of it and let the wheeling community and the family know that this was going to happen.

Holy crap. I really hate to hear stuff like this happen. Bull shit if you ask me. The least Val coulda done was send a pm with a link and an explination of what was going to happen and when. Not that difficult.

Ya know. As a yahoo user I had to pay to join co4x4. And as they keep editi g and deleting my posts it's really starting to piss me off. I told em to man up and tell me why they are doi g it as nothing I post is in violation of board rules or to give me my cash back. What a bunch of spineless XXXXXXs over there to edit shit and shoulder it to avoid any type of confrontation. Arrrgggggg.

Good thing we aren't co4x4.. or what you just said Mike would have been deleted :laugh3:

Just for the record, here is the reply I got from COHVCO about the Seth Stanton Memorial.

Tom, here is what I found out from Corey, and it pretty much confirms the remarks to you contained in my reply of Saturday, May 31st.

The arrangement between COHVCO and Val Douglas, representing the 4WD community was that COHVCO would provide a memorial stone in appreciation of the donations received by the Seth Stanton Memorial Fund (at least $3365.00 to COHVCO in late 2006 and early 2007). Corey Corbett took care of getting the Stone engraved and turned it over to Val back in what appears to have been March 2008 based on the date on a photo of the stone that Corey took. Val would then coordinate with the Colorado Chapter of the North American XJ Assn to get it mounted somewhere up in the mountains along side some 4x4 Route in Colorado.

That is the last involvement that COHVCO had until last week when Val left Corey a phone message saying that he (Corey) would hear some flack about the fact that she had installed the Memorial stone without checking with the NAXJA and "they can kiss my butt" as nobody would do anything about it and she got stuck with the stone, so she went ahead and put it up last Saturday. She said she could not get a hold of them as she has "been banned from their site" and it WAS posted to Colorado 4x4... or something to that effect.

The quotes are, according to Corey, verbatim, and I will say again that Val Douglas is currently not an official spokesperson or representative for
COHVCO. However, I believe that she did serve COHVCO in some capacity in 2006 or earlier.

I am disappointed that the tribute to Seth did not happen as his friends would have preferred, but as I indicated in my response to your email, having provided a monument in acknowledgment of the donations to COHVCO, we felt it would be more appropriate for those friends in the 4WD community that knew Seth to complete the arrangements for any memorial service that they would want to provide. On that basis, COHVCO stepped back from any further involvement. Also, I don't believe that, at that time, there was any active member of the Colorado Association of Four Wheel Drive Clubs on COHVCO's Board of Directors. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or would like additional information.

Glenn Graham
President & Chairman of the Board
Colorado Off-Highway Vehicle Coalition

Thanks for the confirmation of what we all thought was going on, Tom. Understanding that they had some issues and seated a new bunch of directors, it is sad that COHVCO let someone no longer associated with them offend much of the 4x4 community in their name... That said, I can't wait to get down there with you fellas and toast (proverbially of course) Seth and his family.

"kiss my butt"

Now thats-a-way to make new friends and influence people! I feel influenced anyway.

Back