• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

newly rebuilt 4.0 problem

97babyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have recently got the 4.0 from my 97 xj running after three years.
It is basically a stock rebuild. I am having a nasty lifter tick that is not going away.
I ran some seafoam through the crank case with no luck in getting the lifter un-stuck.
I really do not want to ruin a complete rebuild because of a stuck lifter. Any suggestions on how to get this fixed without replacing the lifters?
The truck is not driveable yet so i only have the luxury of running it in park.

Im probably looking at close to $150-$200 to get the head off and replace the lifters, not that I am not willing to do the work but it would be better if it didnt HAVE to happen.

Any suggestions would be great.

Try this at your own risk!!!! Take your VC off and if you have an old pushrod. Loosen the rockers one at a time and take the old push rod and tap the lifter(s) you think are stuck. Reinstall rockers and VC and try it.... Goodluck

that is surely worth a shot.
also forgot to mention that is had backfired through intake twice so far which leads me to believe that at least one of the intake valves is not closing all the way either.

Back