• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newer model intake manifold and smog

american_zero

NAXJA Forum User
I was planning on doing the late model intake manifold upgrade on my '93 along with the APN header replacement. I was wondering if anyone has ever had a problem with the visual check come smog time? Since its a stock manifold, I wouldn't expect any issues but I've been surprised before. :rtm:

As long as everything is hooked up correctly with factory looking parts, there won't even be a question. My junk just passed the other day with one.

the only problem i ever had was from the air filter being aftermarket. Mines for a 91 or newer intake, which I have on my 89. But because the filter was not, they almost failed me. Luckily the guy who owns the shop came in and said it was okay as my emissions were fine. So you should be fine as long as the filter looks stock.

the only problem i ever had was from the air filter being aftermarket. Mines for a 91 or newer intake, which I have on my 89. But because the filter was not, they almost failed me. Luckily the guy who owns the shop came in and said it was okay as my emissions were fine. So you should be fine as long as the filter looks stock.

Sounds like the smog guy didn't know what he was doing and opened himself up to getting a citation from the state. This is a bit off topic, but...

Installing this intake on a 91 - 98 XJ is no big deal, it will be a non-issue for the smog since all the emission hoses and sensors from the original engine will work just fine on the new manifold.

For the old renix era rigs, this will not fly at a normal smog check station. The newer style manifold has no provisions for the EGR system, and the original throttle body will not bolt up. The original air cleaner has a thermostatically controlled door that brings warm air from the heat stove attached to the exhaust manifold, all this needs to be installed as well. All these items must be hooked up and working for the rig to officially pass. Considering that most XJs are directed to test only shops you are asking for trouble if you are missing emission components.

So take this advise for what you will, but I do have some experience with this.

Thanks guys. Just what I was hoping (and somewhat expecting) to hear. When I get around to replacing the header, I'll put the manifold on at the same time.

Back