• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

newbie new to washingtons winter

I learned how to drive in Durango, CO during the winter. With that said: Western WA is simply different. The snow here tends to be a lot slicker than the Colorado stuff. It's because here it's melting and refreezing rather than simply freezing and staying that way. You'll have a few years or even a decade with nice easy snow that any one can handle and then you'll get that year with the slick nasty stuff that fills the center medians of the freeways with salvage. The real answer is just don't assume you know what to expect. And no matter how great your 4x4 is you still need to allow extra stopping distance.

Welcome to the PacNW!

That's how I thought it always was, 4x4 = M+S tires = as good as chains.

I have no idea what the laws really are but when the SP is checking for chains all 4x4's have to have them available or they will turn you back. I have been turned back once in the past. And have been checked several other times.

X2 on Snow is not the same here as it is there.

Michael

Eh, I'll throw the chains in the back just in case. Little extra weight over the rear tires can't hurt anyways.

Eh, I'll throw the chains in the back just in case. Little extra weight over the rear tires can't hurt anyways.

do you have chains for the 35's? Where did ya get em?

I've been waved through twice even though I wasn't carrying any chains (they didn't stop me, just kinda smiled and waved me through), but the one time I was stopped I happened to have a closed bag of chains. Nevermind that they were for 235s and I had 33s on the Jeep. :rof: All they cared about was that I had them. I figured a trip over the pass isn't worth it if they're going to make me put them on...so I'm not spending the $$$ for chains on 37s. ;)

do you have chains for the 35's? Where did ya get em?

4wheelparts had them when I went in the other day...I wana say they were about $30-60...but I could be way off as I only glanced.

~Scott

I've been waved through twice even though I wasn't carrying any chains (they didn't stop me, just kinda smiled and waved me through), but the one time I was stopped I happened to have a closed bag of chains. Nevermind that they were for 235s and I had 33s on the Jeep. :rof: All they cared about was that I had them. I figured a trip over the pass isn't worth it if they're going to make me put them on...so I'm not spending the $$$ for chains on 37s. ;)

Same here, I think they will usually let most 4 wheel drive vehicles pass without a problem.

Last Winter was the first I had a very capable rig with a winch. They were pleasant when I asked if they needed help. They declined, but thanked me. :us:

The nice thing about having rigs ready to tow ehh? I pulled off the road to see if a cop wanted me to tug a stalled vehicle in the middle of the road off the side, he said there was a tow truck coming so he wouldn't need me but thanked me. I'm just hoping if I get pulled over he's the one who does it. :)

~Scott

The nice thing about having rigs ready to tow ehh? I pulled off the road to see if a cop wanted me to tug a stalled vehicle in the middle of the road off the side, he said there was a tow truck coming so he wouldn't need me but thanked me. I'm just hoping if I get pulled over he's the one who does it. :)

~Scott

VERY nice. Preparation is a beautiful thing. Case in point is this storm. I don't sweat it a bit. Have everything in place to weather it. ;)

Same here, I think they will usually let most 4 wheel drive vehicles pass without a problem.

Well, I suspect it has to do with the officer at the time, the place and the conditions. In the 1/2 dozen times I have been though there check points I have NEVER been waved through. I have been in a veriaty of vehicles of all shapes and sizes, all with 4x4 NOT AWD. They have never checked the size of the chains.

Michael

Well, I suspect it has to do with the officer at the time, the place and the conditions. In the 1/2 dozen times I have been though there check points I have NEVER been waved through. I have been in a veriaty of vehicles of all shapes and sizes, all with 4x4 NOT AWD. They have never checked the size of the chains.

Michael
the guys on hwy2 are not bad, they drive XJs also so they don't seem to care.

Im not worried about the snow vs. my deap tread tires too much at all. Im just curious to see what 4wheel drive is like on say Hwy2 covered in snow with my Aussie locker. Doesnt seem that the steering would like me too much.

-Lyle

Im not worried about the snow vs. my deap tread tires too much at all. Im just curious to see what 4wheel drive is like on say Hwy2 covered in snow with my Aussie locker. Doesnt seem that the steering would like me too much.

-Lyle

it's not that bad, I did it every weekend last winter. biggest thing is make sure your alignment is ok, and drive slower than you normally would.

Back