• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newbie Alert Question about cordless cutting tool(s).

Hand snips work well, just remember to get a right hand pair and a left hand pair (they make them different to cut corners easier in one direction). They are usually packaged with red and green handles (get one of each).

Flat blade (duckbill) vice grips help, as do regular vice grips, along with a heavy hammer (32oz ballpeen) and some bar stock for a dolly block.

If you want to save the paint (a little) tape the cut area with masking tape before cutting (it helps hold the paint edge at the cut line for less chipping). The tape will also give you a good place to draw your cut line without marking up the paint. Just be careful pulling the masking tape.

Great, lots of options to consider. Thanks for the input all.....

(FWIW for holyfield, I live near the Pentagon, void of hardware stores, auto parts stores, or anything usefull, unless you like Abercrombie and Fitch or some Starbucks-- even going to look at tools is quite a drive :p )

XJ_ranger said:
i do know that de-walt makes an 18V cordless 4 1/2" angle grinder... that looks like fun to me...
http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=6354
as well as this new product - basicaly a roto-Zip, but might work... and looks like fun
http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=8735

i have both! they've both come in handy so far. wescam, i'm all too familiar with the lack of toy, i mean hardware stores in that area!! i've worked over in pentagon row, nice area. Though not alot of do-it-yourselfers there. your definitely in the minority. i feel for ya.........

I have personally used a 9amp dewalt 120v recip saw with a vector 750watt inverter to cut the bottom rear corner off an xj, (after both batteries crapped out on the dewalt 18v cordless), if you dont bind the blade or force the saw, it has no problem cutting. the inverter is also cheaper than a cordless saw.

btw, I used to love dewalt cordless, BUT the battery attachment tabs DO NOT hold up to use with a recip saw! after a while the batteries will not stay in due to the vibration. And the blade quick release is weak, and after the blade pulls out once, the retaining ball will not retain the blade as well ever again.

this is true of both the cordless and corded dewalt saws.

the dewalt saws are not built heavy enough for metal cutting duty (and sheetmetal is really taxing on saws anyways)

at work, we use these saws every day and have tried several brands.

milwaukee: best corded saw, period. the speed control is separate from the trigger, ,it is pretty smooth, and it is not too heavy (heavy saws are hard on blades, light saws will kick back some if the blade binds or bottoms out instead of bending the tang over), but dont use the orbital option on metal. the quick attach does not let blades pull out, but the quick attach is kind of weak

porter cable corded: heavy, not as durable, speed control by trigger only. harsh vibration, hard on the operator. I will always find the milwaukee instead of using the PC. in short, not a great saw

Dewalt corded, this was my favorite saw when new. It is the lightest saw, I liked the ease of blade release (flip the lever, pull the triggert and the blade pops out onto the floor) and it was smooth. it wore out fast, vibration became terrible, the blade retention sucks (blades pull out of the holder easily, this ruins the blade due to the groove it makes in the tang. I rebuilt this saw once, at the first sign of problems, but it just hasn't been durable. its a good saw for cutting wood and sometimes metal, but I'll never purchase one again.

Dewalt cordless, all the same likes-dislikes as the corded counterpart, but the battery retention is horrible, The dewalt pack may be fine for drills and circular saws, but it is absolutely not up to the task for a recip saw, the vibration is too much for those tiny tabs to deal with. and once they start falling out of the saw any time you pull the trigger, it wont be long before they won't stay in your drill either. I eventually had to tape the pack onto the drill and saw everytime I used them.

recently I bought an 18 volt Bosch drill, circular saw, recip saw kit, I have been very impressed with the tools so far, the battery clips are much better designed than the Dewalt and the saw is much smoother. the other cool thing about the saw is that it has a variable stroke, cant' remember the exact travel, but it is like 3/4 inch or 1.5 inches.

anyhow, I'd say look at an inverter first, don't go less than 750watts continuous, then you can take your cheaper corded power tools with you.

or shop carefully for cordless, pick a good brand, but look at what you are buying and consider how well it might stand up to the type of use you desire.
(and buy an inverter so you can recharge the batteries) :D

joel

Probably too late to say anything, but after cutting sheetmetal almost everyday for the last twenty years, I say you guys that'd do it with aviation snips are looney tunes! WAaaaay too much work! If you have to cut them this weekend, go to the pawn shop & find a cutting tool you like of the 18 volt cordless variety or go rent a small, quiet generator. Of course the invertor idea is terriffic. Just be aware that some AC items don't like the cheaper invertors. Has something to do with the wave pattern. Household AC has a sine wave pattern. Some cheap invertors use a square wave or modified square wave or something.

Sawzall will cut the fenders well if you keep the sheetmetal from vibrating with the blade. A block of wood to back you up might be useful. You can also save a lot of trimming by folding the lip over. Stiffen up the opening a bit compare to just cutting. Good luck- Stay safe

PS- First tool I'd try for this project would be a high speed die grinder with a thin cutting wheel. Of course that means you'd have to rent/borrow an air compressor and hose. Air tools are the BOMB baby!

True to form (Just Empty Every Pocket) -- I got an 18V Ryobi set today.

Thanks for all the help and advice. I'll soon venture out to cut sheet metal for the first time, heh. (Well, today or tomorrow).

The set of snips was $34 and I need a drill also. A good (Ryobi 18v) cordless drill with battery and charger was costly to me, until I saw some other brands. Damn tools are expensive. So I put up the snips and got that Ryobi kit someone had mentioned. It's got the drill -- I'm going to need it so I don't have to bum tools from people like in the past when I install my skids and rails. It's got the Recip. Saw (heh). It also has circular saw (don't need it now, but will in the future) and a flashlight (woo hoo).

Thanks for all the advice and help.

I won't ask any more noob questions until after Easter. Don't want to fill up my quota so fast. Turned out to be a decent thread after all. :p

wescam said:
I won't ask any more noob questions until after Easter. Don't want to fill up my quota so fast. Turned out to be a decent thread after all. :p

You won't be upgraded from Noobie status until you DO fill up your quota! :)
Now get outa & go make room for bigger tires!

Back