• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newb dummy question: Is xj really a 4x4?

RCP Phx said:
Your Chevy is/was no different(4x2) without lockers.
Never did dig into the rearend of the chevy. Never needed to. But in 4low granny gear all 4 tires spun at the same speed at the same time. When I hit the gas I knew I had all four wheel traction. Its a nice feeling. Had great tires that got traction in/on everything I needed. It had been heavily moded before I got it. I just beefed up the tranny and the engine. Had no 4wd on dry pavement. Could only spin rear two tires then. Took a lot to get them to spin though. They just wanted to grip n go. Actually won many rounds of beer betting it was really a 4x4! Had buddies in Jeeps and Fords betting me it wasnt. Never lost a bet! Top speed was 90. Would still do 90 up steep hills pulling a 30' travel trailer! Semi's couldnt believe it.:)

extra weight and easy on the gas always helps traction :)

klonestar said:
Never did dig into the rearend of the chevy. Never needed to. But in 4low granny gear all 4 tires spun at the same speed at the same time. When I hit the gas I knew I had all four wheel traction. Its a nice feeling. Had great tires that got traction in/on everything I needed. It had been heavily moded before I got it. I just beefed up the tranny and the engine. Had no 4wd on dry pavement. Could only spin rear two tires then. Took a lot to get them to spin though. They just wanted to grip n go. Actually won many rounds of beer betting it was really a 4x4! Had buddies in Jeeps and Fords betting me it wasnt. Never lost a bet! Top speed was 90. Would still do 90 up steep hills pulling a 30' travel trailer! Semi's couldnt believe it.:)

Locking front hubs do not lock the differential. Their business is only at the axle ends.

Actually, "locking hubs" is a misnomer. They should be called, as the original Warn hubs for CJ's were, I believe, "free wheeling hubs." The default position for a 4WD axle is engaged, in the manner of any full floating axle, with the hub permanently driven by the splines on the axle shaft. Later model XJ's are this way. The original Jeeps, among others, came this way, and freewheeling hubs were offered as an aftermarket option to disengage the hubs from the axle shafts when on the road.

It is, of course, possible that you had a limited slip differential on the front of that Chevy, along with the back, and if so, you would indeed have had true 4 wheel drive, at least straight ahead. some of those old systems, such as Dana's Pow-r-lok, were mighty grippy. But that's something else.

theorhetically all vehicles with 4 wheels are 4 wheel drive.

Take one wheel off and your not gonna get very far.

:confused1

klonestar said:
Ok and now????:)

So a D44 in the rear before adding mods to the rear? Now if a D30 is smaller than a D35 why is it ok to keep and upgrade it? Guess im asking why not a 44 on the front to? or? I like what your saying because it means less money for me! Just trying to understand why a 30 is ok in the front.

locking the front even though the differential isnt as strong as the d35, there is most often less weight on the front axle in positions where axle pieces go boom.

ofcourse there are people who will say that they blew a d30 shaft, ring and pinion, bla bla bla - but the majority of users with locked dana 30's dont have too much of an issue with them...

Jim (ILLXJ) has a locked 30 front and did some real hard wheeling on it a few weekends ago, no issues...

Jeeps ARE 4X4!!!!!! Quite saying their not! It's killing me!!

Even if you drive on some pretty slippery stuff, the only time you don't have full 4 wheel drive is if one tire slips considerably. If it just slips for one revolution your power loss is negligable and your only 2x4 for that split second.

Limited slip does just what it says, limits the slippage of that axle thereby reducing the likelyhood that you will only have one axle pulling.

You don't wan't a full time locker in the front. If you wan't to see what it would feel like, drive on pavement with the T case in part time. (just don't break anything while you do this...)

You can learn a lot about differentials (open, limited slip, locked etc etc etc) with google. Don't expect a full understanding to come quickly though, these are fairly complicated devices!!

Limited slip in the rear and an air locker in the front. Expensive, but this would provide you with maximum traction when you're out wheeling, and on the pavement. When you hit the streets you could flip the locker off and you'll never know it's there. But you'll still have your limited slip helping you out on the snowy roads.

Back