• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Yukon Zip Locker

Personally i was stoked when i heard Yukon put out 2 new lockers, lunch box (Spartan) and the air operated Zip.
I'm glad you had no problems with your testing for a year in your Jeep. What compressor did you use to activate your ZIP?
Where did you wheel it and on what size tires and gears?
What exactly is your position with the company? From reading these posts it sounds like you may not have had the permission of Yukon to speak of these on their behalf just yet because of the way you have presented this thread.
I do like your enthusiam for the product and the patience you've shown when answering questions to the best of your knowledge without any BS.:yelclap: -B

Personally i was stoked when i heard Yukon put out 2 new lockers, lunch box (Spartan) and the air operated Zip.
I'm glad you had no problems with your testing for a year in your Jeep. What compressor did you use to activate your ZIP?
Where did you wheel it and on what size tires and gears?
What exactly is your position with the company? From reading these posts it sounds like you may not have had the permission of Yukon to speak of these on their behalf just yet because of the way you have presented this thread.
I do like your enthusiam for the product and the patience you've shown when answering questions to the best of your knowledge without any BS.:yelclap: -B

I used a standard ARB compressor for mine. I ran it in a 30 spline D30, with 4.56's and 35's. Never had a problem. If you couldn't already tell, I'm in sales. :D

Is it the same one you tested for the year? I was just curious to see how it's doing now after testing.

-----Matt-----

I actually sold my 98. I was going to use the money to build a TJ, but ended up just getting another XJ instead. But like I said, I'll be running Zip Lockers front and rear in my 92.

Yeah actually he did. The Zips weren't on the market at the time. I tested one of the very first prototypes, and I think the case bolts eventually backed out on that unit. Same problem that ARB had with theirs. We have sense changed the fastners to ensure the bolts stay put.

Yeah actually he did. The Zips weren't on the market at the time. I tested one of the very first prototypes, and I think the case bolts eventually backed out on that unit. Same problem that ARB had with theirs. We have sense changed the fastners to ensure the bolts stay put.
Who installed the prototype?

Good on ya to be honest about why it was swapped. Not typical salesman of ya ;)

thread on pirate claims that the smaller units (prone to housing flex) have safety wired bolts to help eliminate this

The original was installed here in our service shop. The smaller units, like the D30 will all be safety wired to keep the case bolts in place.

If the data is slow coming from Randys for the zip locker, maybe ARB will buy one and test it for us. Then we can all see the results on utube.

so, ARB has been around for years, its an industry leader for air lockers... now Yukon wants to duplicate the air locker and feed off it. thats fine.. but with ARB having such a reliable product, that has been proven over the years, IMO Yukon should of started the price point somewhere in the $500 range..

Im not even in the market for an air locker, but if Yukon has a ratchet locker, they better price it 20% less then the Aussielocker for it to be worth trying!

when it comes to something so expensive and time consuming, Reputation and proven quality comes BEFORE a slight price difference.

Safety wire? Sounds like a bandaid to me. Not an engineer, but if something was flexing enough to spit the bolts out, wouldn't it be wise to make it stop flexing instead of just trying to keep the bolts snug? If the carrier's moving that much, what's it doing to the gear pattern?

Safety wire? Sounds like a bandaid to me. Not an engineer, but if something was flexing enough to spit the bolts out, wouldn't it be wise to make it stop flexing instead of just trying to keep the bolts snug? If the carrier's moving that much, what's it doing to the gear pattern?

Sure if you want to truss the D30. Thats the only thing that will keep the housing from flexing. Safety wire is not a bandaid. Every aircraft in the sky uses safety wire.

Sure if you want to truss the D30. Thats the only thing that will keep the housing from flexing. Safety wire is not a bandaid. Every aircraft in the sky uses safety wire.
Do you think a sturdy diff cover would reduce housing flex sufficiently to keep the locker from flexing? Also I gotta say, if a company is going to market a new product that is very similar to a proven competitor, they need to price it significantly less to entice would be converts. To me $50 is not significant enough, JMHO.

Back