• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New XJ, New Problems

well i tried to change out the oil sending unit but it turns out autozone gave me the wrong part, but I tried to crank it up and the same problem I had a few weeks earlier just happened again. So i'm almost positive its my grounds, but what the hell do they look like?

Is there any way to tell them apart from the 3000 other wires under my hood?

Grounds:

One goes from the firewall, drivers side, to the head on the engine, nead the firewall. Another goes from the battery negative post to engine block near the oil dipstick holder and oil filter assy. That same location on the block is also where 2 wire assys for the engine sensors and computer are grounded. All under one bolt. Also see post #15 in this thread! :twak:

Last edited:
k.smith904 said:
well i tried to change out the oil sending unit but it turns out autozone gave me the wrong part, but I tried to crank it up and the same problem I had a few weeks earlier just happened again. So i'm almost positive its my grounds, but what the hell do they look like?

Is there any way to tell them apart from the 3000 other wires under my hood?

:roflmao:
Hahahahahahahahahaha!
You will laugh too, when you get so used to seeing the engine bay that you will know where it all is without even thinking about it. And you really know you spend too much time wrenching it when you know it so well that the sun goes down, and before you realize it, you are wrenching in the dark without a flashlight with no problems! LOL Then you run in and grab one of those lights that straps to your head and finish the job while your neighbors try to figure out how you could have so much fun "fixing" the Jeep all the time... It's a jeep thing...

well after about 6 weeks I finally got it running today. I noticed that when I pumped the gas when I tried to start it, I couldn't smell anything. So I figured my fuel filter was clogged so I went out, got a new one, installed it, and after a few tries, I got it running. F YEAH! Decided to drive it around the block, and everything seemed fine. So I drove it to my friend's, and when upon trying to leave it started doing the same ol bs (starts, sputters, and then dies. Then doesn't start again after that). I'm suspecting a faulty fuel pump or maybe even a clogged cat converter, but I'm no mechanic by any means. I need to get this heep running again so help is much appreciated.

Edit: Also, after trying to start it again, it still seems as though no gas is getting to the engine. When I try to start and pump the gas, I can't smell even a hint of gasoline...I thought maybe there was no gas and I had a bad fuel gauge but I poured damn near 5 gallons in and still nothing.

Thanks.

My oil pressure is usually always up at 60 to 80 in my 89. It wasnt until i seen it at 20 and freeked out and looked it up that i relized it shoud be at 20 lol. But mine does jsut fine with the pressure up there. its usually at about 15-30 after its hot and im at idol and up to 60+ while in the throttle.

As far as the e-break. might as well rebuild the rear... or at least replace the wheel cylinders. Mine were actually rusty INSIDE the rubber boot lol... while your in there clean up and make sure the self adjuster isnt rusted solid. Its on the bottom of the drum. Took a few shots and soak of PB spray to get them back to normal. After that its just a matter of cycling the ebreak over and over to adjust it.

Good Luck =)

Ed

Back