• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New wheeler

D-Schmidt

NAXJA Forum User
Well im new to wheeling and the guy I usually talk to is getting to be a little judgemental about what i have done. So im looking to you guys to tell me if what i did was truly an awful thing. I was out wheeling with my buddy. we are on his familys cabin property. He is on a 4 wheeler im in my cherokee with his baby and my boy. He took me down this narrow 4 wheeler trail. my jeep got pretty pinstriped from the sage. Is the jeep going down the atv trail that big of deal?

Not on private property.

So what about a jeep an atv route not on private property? I have always thought that ATV UTV and OHV have always been in the same catagory. I thought that if you can fit throught the gate entrance to the trail you can run it. Is that wrong?

So what about a jeep an atv route not on private property? I have always thought that ATV UTV and OHV have always been in the same catagory. I thought that if you can fit throught the gate entrance to the trail you can run it. Is that wrong?

Not ok

Is this really an issue?

Its not like you're blaming your damage on him and his ATV trail. And he's leading you, what did he expect you to do? stop and ask him if you could drive there?

I was at a park a few weeks ago that had primarily ATV trails. I went down some and some were too tight. I knew that any damage was my responsibility, which I gladly accepted and drove wherever I wanted to. This is a public ATV/OHV park where I paid the entry fee. It is also leased out to an oil company so the gates are 12' wide everywhere.

Seems like your 'buddy' is getting really knitpicky and I'd find other wheeling spots.

Depends how it's marked.
ATV trails will have a gate set not much wider than an ATV and will be posted as an ATV and whatever trail. An OHV trail on NF land generally has a listing of what OHVs they allow on the trail (pictures).

In the end, it is up to you to know where you are allowed or not allowed.
The old adage of "If it ain't signed, bermed, or gated" no longer applied after the Forest Service rolled out their Route rules about 10 years ago.

If on NF or BLM land, get the trail maps on line.
If on State or County land, familiarize yourself with the area. Not all ATV trail are exusive, some are just "Routes".
If in a Private Off-Road park, most anything is game, but know the rules.
If on Private land, ask the rules, and be sensitive to areas which would cause issues, like driving over crops.

One of the things I recommend, especially if you are in an area without many public trails, is to hook up with a local club.
If you are visiting an area, look for books on 4WD trails, or do some web research. It will pay off in the end.

Bureau Of Land Management

Not a term I've heard much since moving to TX, but the western guys have a lot of public land managed by them

Back