• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New twist on a rear bumper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Appalachian Armor

NAXJA Forum User
We are just about to begin building the final version of our 84-96 XJ rear bumper. The little "twist" is that it has a flip up lid on it that spans almost the full width of the bumper. It's a good spot for those spare fluids, shackles, tow straps, etc. It will have a lock that is almost flush with the lid and an additional security feature is that it cannot be opened with the hatch closed. This is constructed out of 3/16" and 1/4" steel and will at first be available as a weld-yourself kit. Here's a sneak peek before we cleaned up the body lines and made some minor changes to the angles...

Side1.jpg

Lid2.jpg

Better pics to come.

Thoughts???

Price??

i like the idea. one consern that i have is how sturdy is the bumper going to be with that large are with no braceing? would it be able to stand getting smacked on a rock when wheelin?

also, how is the bumper mounted- via the stock 8 bolt holes or does it tie into the frame rails as well? any plans on a tire carrier version? if not, is it sturdy enough to easily add one? with the weld yourself kit, are all the pieces already formed or do some still require some love with a BFH as is the case with some other DIY bumper kits.

Price??

i like the idea. one consern that i have is how sturdy is the bumper going to be with that large are with no braceing? would it be able to stand getting smacked on a rock when wheelin?

also, how is the bumper mounted- via the stock 8 bolt holes or does it tie into the frame rails as well? any plans on a tire carrier version? if not, is it sturdy enough to easily add one? with the weld yourself kit, are all the pieces already formed or do some still require some love with a BFH as is the case with some other DIY bumper kits.

I think we will be introducing it around $180 until we get about 5-10 orders, depending on how fast they go, so we can get them out there quicker. Then once people get some good word out on them they most likely will go up about 10-15%....but that could change depending on sales.

Well the corners are triangulated for strength and there is bracing inside as well. With the whole bumper being triangulated in some form, we don't feel there will be strength issues. Not to mention it's 3/16". Do I think it will withstand a 6-8" drop onto a rock...yes, no problems. Do I think it will withstand a 24" drop...not sure, it might dent in if you landed dead center on the bumper. If a Civic rear ends you....they are going to have a problem...I will say that!

For now we are only using the stock 8 holes because we wanted it to be used in addition to a tow hitch receiver. To be honest with you, this bumper is not designed to be bulletproof for a hardcore rockcrawler. It should be basically bulletproof for everyone else.

Tire carrier version....yes, eventually we plan on having a tire carrier add-on as an option.

All pieces are formed, ready to weld in place, except for a piece on the mounting bracket. You have to bend a 90* on two pieces but they will be tabbed for easier bending. It was easier to do it that way than to provide two different pieces.

I like it!

i'd rock it- add some D rings, and mount to the frame rails as well, and maybe put AJs tire carrier hinge- but i would rock it.

Very nice design,and as you stated not everyone is a hardcore rock crawler. and i like the fact that i can keep my rear hitch.which i use for a recovery point. so d rings in my case aren't needed.

I like it.

Make one for the 97+ please! :D It will make it a lot easier on my dad who will have to source everything for a bumper!

Dammit Josh, are you bringing back the dead today or what? :laugh3:

Make one for the 97+ please! :D It will make it a lot easier on my dad who will have to source everything for a bumper!

Dammit Josh, are you bringing back the dead today or what? :laugh3:

Halloween is coming...:firedevil

damn i didnt see this, what happened to these? I think i just found a new fav! can put all my recovery gear in there!

damn i didnt see this, what happened to these? I think i just found a new fav! can put all my recovery gear in there!

x2 I would be interested if it had "frame" tie in's and maybe a hitch/d rings. you don't need to be a hardcore crawler to need recovery points.

x2 I would be interested if it had "frame" tie in's and maybe a hitch/d rings. you don't need to be a hardcore crawler to need recovery points.

Well what we mean is...using me as an example, I still have a tow hitch that's tied into the frame. For any recovery from the rear of the vehicle I use that. I don't really loose any ground clearance from have the tow hitch as I only put the receiver in when needed. It's designed to use with the tow hitch instead of having a receiver built in....for now anyways.

Still hammering out some final details. We've been stalled for a while as all three of us guys have had a very busy personal life lately. Two expecting babies and me, I've been busy with family stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back