• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new to xjs

beraad44

NAXJA Forum User
i have a completly stock 98 xj and i was wondering what would be a good first mod to do to it...here is a pic to think about

S5000421.jpg

Sweet! Looks like my '00 in a red dress.

Dump the space saver spare, and get a $25.00 full size tire from a wrecking yard. Are you missing that lug nut up front, or is the chrome cap missing? First time at a tire shop, get solid lug nuts. The lug wrench won't turn the lugs without the cap. It's metric, and the cap brings it up to american std. Change the lugs or get a metric lug wrench to go with the other one.

Then,...

Slap a limited slip diff. in the back. Wheel it. Detroit Tru-tracs are great. Then get a tru-trac or a locker for the front.

That a D-35 in back? Looks like it from the outline. If you get a locker, it'll be ok untill you upsize the tires. If you really want to wheel it hard and big tires are in store, don't bother wasting money on the rear end(don't even get the limited slip. Start in front). Save it and get a D-44, Ford 8.8, etc.

MoparManiac: Ha, Ha,.. got me(again). Cj didn't have hooks, XJ-1 didn't have hooks, XJ-2 didn't have hooks. I always forget to look for the tow hooks. You think I'd learn.

Ok, get a set of front tow hooks right after you ditch the baby spare. (factory brackets out of a yard, or any of the aftermarket ones. Don't bolt them to the frame or bumper. Got a rear hitch? Get one: rear tow point.

If its 2wd do nothing to it.

If its 4wd, add t-case skid (Warn has a cheap good one $79) and tow points and recovery gear.

Do you plan to wheel it? If so:

- Tow hooks (junkyard)
- Front/Transfer case/Fuel tank skid plate (junkyard)
- Replace rocker with square steel (see MadXJ)
- CB

After some wheeling and looking at other rigs and driving them decide how big you want it (your XJ!) and build it!

Everything bigger than 31" tires will involve drastically more work and/or money when it should work and look decently and not like @ss.

Back