• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New to XJ's just bought my first one and have some maint. to do help appreciated

it gets up to 210 and just sits there never goes up or down (till i shut it off and let it cool off) i am getting an ECT sensor code P0118.

im pretty happy the winch is not burnt up or anything so thats a plus there. now i am hoping that the guy had hlaf a brain and when he said it had lockers front and rear he knew what the hell he was talking about. how would you check for a locker (it has to be a lunchbox or detroit type locker unless the 8.8's did not come with the wiring harness plug thats attached to the top of mine then it could be electric) other than taking the diff cover off? on that note how do you calculate your gear ratio in the axles?

210's fine, it should sit there and run there normally. If it goes significantly above that, start worrying, otherwise forget about it.

That code means one of two things - either you're low on coolant or the temp sensor is bad. It's kinda strange that it reads 210 and throws that code on a 98 since there is only one sensor (96 and older XJs had a separate sensor for the ECU and the gauge, and some even had 3, with the third being for the e-fan) and I'm not sure how to explain that. Maybe try installing a new one from the junkyard? They usually don't go bad so a junkyard one is a pretty decent bet.

Gear ratios - Put the transfer case in neutral, chock both front wheels and one rear wheel, jack up other rear wheel. Turn the wheel once while counting driveshaft rotations, then double that number, that's your axle ratio for that axle. Repeat with the front axle. You won't get an exact number but you'll get one close enough that you can guess based on available ratios for that axle.

The other way is to look at the numbers stamped into the ring gear - you'll have to pop the covers to find out what kind of lockers (if any) you have anyways. The 8.8 had an ABS tone ring sensor in the top, it's probably been left disconnected since it isn't in an Explorer anymore :looney:

ok then thats what is proably on the 8.8. i think i will just pull the covers since i want to inspect the gears for any cracks or broken teeth. plus they said i have water in my front axle. ill do that this week.

i have a replacement ECT sensor, a battery temp sensor, and input speed sensor comming shortly so ill just wait till they get here to double check the ECT.

ok i need a dummy lesson here.
i know i need to check on spline counts for the axle shafts (or are they interchangable with no other mods) is there anything else i should be looking at for details i need to know about my XJ inorder to buy spare parts?

the PO bought it from a differant PO and he did not know a whole lot about the jeep. i asked about lockers and he said yea it has mile markers in the front (proceded to point to the hubs) i said no in the pumpkin he said oh i think it does im not sure. he knew next to nothing about the jeep other than the basics so i am looking at like i know nothing about this sucker than what the jeep place confirmed D30 and an 8.8 with disk brakes.

well pulled the covers to find that i have 4.56 gears (for sure in the rear), and a lunchbox locker out back. so i am pretty happy with the set up so far. i will still save up for a selectable locker for the front but now its not a priority. just wanted to give an update off to figure out the spline count (yes i realize i should have done this with the cover off in the front) oh well. are the spline counts the same on both the inside and outside?

Back