• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New to NAXJA

oldpeep

NAXJA Forum User
I'd like to introduce myself. I am new to the site. Looking to learn more about these xj's. I currently own a 88 xj with aw4. Jeep is bone stock other than mj mount for alternator flip and manual fan to electric swap. Currently having issues with my 1st and 2nd gears missing on my aw4. I am thinking this is electrical more than mechanical issue. Any pointers would be great as i am electrical illiterate. Thanks in advance...

Sorry oldpeep. I can't answer that, but.....WELCOME!

Post on OEM Tech. Bet you get more answers there.

Welcome!

Unplug the TCU or pull the fuse for it and then try driving it. You'll have to run through the gears yourself (and be aware it won't catch second until it goes to like 4 grand in 1st). This will tell you if it's a mechanical or electrical problem. If you're still having trouble with the TCU unplugged/fuse pulled, then it's something more serious. 9 times out of 10 with the AW4, it's electrical problems.

Welcome aboard. If you ever get over to Hartsville give me a shout! Try what UNCC sugested. I did not think about that.

Welcome!!! Always glad to have another owner join us! Now to your problem. Does your XJ seems like it starts out in a higher gear in Drive like if you had a manual and started in 3rd or 4th instead of 1st? If so, then you probably have a bad solenoid in the transmission which can be replaced for less than $300 at any transmission shop or you can tackle it yourself with some more research. I had this happen on mine and I opted to let my local Mr. Transmission tackle it since I was younger and didn't know quite as much yet.

I suggested this to him:
Solenoid bad
wires exposed or cut
change oil + Filter
99% its electrical issue vs mechanical
If mechanical. Go to JY. lol
and if all else fails.. Take it to Lennies!

I took a mj bracket and did a slight modify to get the alternator to mount where the a/c originally was. Reason i did this is to keep mud and water out of the alternator.
My a/c was shot so i done away with it the bracket and the manual fan all in one. I have a electric fan in there also with a switch to turn on and off if i am in the water.

Yes sir thats the one.. I got it off a donor mj at our local pull a part here in columbia sc. It was the four cylinder version but mounted right up on the block. Had to modify the lower part of the bracket .....

Can you take a picture of it?

Yes sir thats the one.. I got it off a donor mj at our local pull a part here in columbia sc. It was the four cylinder version but mounted right up on the block. Had to modify the lower part of the bracket .....

I got a couple friends in Columbia and come down there once every 2 weeks or so. What part of Cola are ya in?

bumper-278-picture7603-alt2.jpg

bumper-278-picture7602-alt1.jpg

I got a couple friends in Columbia and come down there once every 2 weeks or so. What part of Cola are ya in?

But yet you never come see me when i was there.. i see how you are .. basterd! :scottm:

Back