• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New to lifting, what do I need??

the leafs were more of a pain in my ass than the coils, honestly. But yeah, go with 3" I'd say - I need to measure, but I'm pretty sure my front is at 3" and my back is at 2.5" or so. Depending on how well my 32s I just got fit, I might be putting a few blocks/spacers/shackles in to make that 3" to 4"... I swore I would never do this... damn inchitis

well 3" is the break-point for cost. you can do less than 3" of lift just by adding or replacing a few small parts (coil spacers, shackles, etc) or by spending a little more for better springs (such as the OME kits). once you get up to 3" then replacement springs are mandatory, steering becomes problematic, and control arms get to such angles that ride quality suffers, and so forth, which adds up to hundreds of dollars pretty quickly. a lot of aftermarket parts are sold for 4-6" of lift, so 3" is also kind of a no-man's land on heavy duty parts.

2" is a nice boost over stock and won't affect your stock gear too much, otherwise go to 4"

I ran 3" of spacers and 1.5" shackles for a few years on 30's. Did pretty good. I'd say go for the 2" or so, then you can get away with just spacers (I didn't like having 3" lift with just spacers) or ZJ V8 coils with an extra stock isolator and get a shackle for the rear. If you do AAL and decide to go higher later, the AAL isn't as easy to reuse.

Back