• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New to all this

ctxj99

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, I am new to the XJ world. I have been off-road but have never owned my own. I would like some advice. I looked at the newbie post that contained links, but those links would not pull anything up for me. I think they're too old. I just recently bought a 99 xj with 128000 miles on it and it's in pretty good shape. Some minor things i need to fix like the front windows not working, but overall, i think i snagged a good one. It has a 3.5" Rubicon Express lift, Bilstein shocks, OX front locker, rock hard rear bumper, rock sliders and 4:10 gears. The underside is slightly rusted but i believe it's all surface rust that i can fix. He used to take it to pismo beach. Nothing too bad according to a former xj owner and friend. I am wondering if you all could advise me on what i should add to the jeep for a $1000. I only have about that to spare for further investment. In the future i can do more hopefully. I would like a rack on the roof. Any pointers or guidance?

Don't do a roof rack. Kills your mileage, gets hung up on things when crawling, and changes your COG.

What kind of wheeling do you want to do? Do you have a SYE? Any armor aside from a bumper?

I'd say get to know the locals, hit the trails and find out what you need before spending anything. There are quite a few XJ'ers near you, between NAXJA and the SocalXJ crowd, so introduce yourself in the SoCal Chapter.
It's a good way to learn what's needed and what isn't, if money is tight. Besides, you can probably score a used roof rack from somebody here who decided they don't need it anymore. :)

As to what you should do first... Well that depends. Do you like the way it drives? Other then the windows are there any other issues?
Does it or do you have the basics for off roading: (lower on the list = more hardcore wheeling)
1. Quick disconnects for front swaybar
2. Gas tank skid plate
3. Highlift Jack
4. Recovery points and recovery gear
5. Winch + Accessories
6. Trail Spares (Replacement parts so you don't get stranded)

I could go on all day but that is likely a good start.

Hey guys, I appreciate all of the responses so far. I will try and answer all of you.

@DeftwillP - It kills your mileage that bad huh? I already get pretty bad mileage. Maybe do to the gearing. I know this is probably dumb but what is COG? Sorry for my lack of knowledge.

I would like to do some crawling if I can or at least be capable in case some of the trails I hit here in so call get rugged. I'm used to being able to hit intense trails that are really rutted and require some rock crawling. But I fear with only a 3.5" lift and 32" tires that may always be an issue. What do you think? I do have a SYE I believe, and if I don't, I know I have one in the extra transfer case I have from purchasing the XJ. I have no other armor besides the rear bumper. I do want a new front bumper.

@Ronbo - That is great advice. I do plan on meeting the locals here since all my friends who wheeled are in AZ. I'm the only one here so I am solo right now. Kinda sucks not having a group. I can access the chapter off of here, correct? That would be nice to score a used rack off here.

@accorn - I do like the way it drives. There doesn't seem to be any issues from what I can tell. Just the front windows not working and the power lock is intermittent. No overheating issues either. The engine and transmission seem to be strong. There is oil on the bottom of the pan but nothing to the point where it's leaking on the ground. My buddy said in could just be the rear seal which is not a huge deal. He said his did the same thing. Or it might be from the oil filter actually. I will do an oil change soon, clean it up and see. Other than that, it vibrates slightly at 35 and 50 to 55 but immediately goes away before and after. Again, buddy says that's most likely just from the drive train due to the lift. Nothing that shakes, its very slight. I think that's it.

1. The sway bar has been removed completely
2. no skid plate
3. no highlift jack
4. not sure what this is. Sorry. Explain please?
5. No winch or accessories
6. I have a brand new spare tire mounted on the same rim on the xj; nothing else. suggestions?

When I bought the Jeep, he also gave me an extra transfer case with an SYE, another rear axle Ford 8.8 with disc brakes which can be used for the XJ and is stronger I was told and has more locker options, the spare tire and rim, a set of 15" steelies and I think that's it.

I will be happy to answer any other questions. I really appreciate the help. I really want the rust gone too.

Ok you will want to get a front sway bar and disconnects. It's a safety thing. Some do go without but I am not in that camp.

Recovery points are places that you can hook a tow strap or chain to and get pulled out of whatever jam you managed to get into. Generally on your bumpers and tied as deeply into the uni body as possible.

installing the new transfer case with sye may fix those vibes. There are may threads on how to do that correctly. You likely have an 8.25 rear end so the 8.8 while an upgrade isn't a must do right away. But a good thing to have if you break your current axle.

Trail spares are things like axle shafts, driveline, and various suspension parts that might get broken while wheeling hard.

Also given your setup, you should expect 17-18mpg on the freeway if you keep it south of 70mph. If you are much lower you may have a bad o2 sensor and or broken exhaust manifold. Which would be a good excuse to get some headers.

COG is center of gravity. You want it low but odds are you're not going to have to worry about it.
Hacking your fenders for clearance and keeping your lift low would be way more effective than skipping a roof rack. It also depends on what you throw up there. A 53" tire + water/gas cans might be concerning.

If COG concerns you keep heavy crap inside and light crap ie tent sleeping bags whatever up top. That'll save your back too. :)

Ok you will want to get a front sway bar and disconnects. It's a safety thing. Some do go without but I am not in that camp.

Recovery points are places that you can hook a tow strap or chain to and get pulled out of whatever jam you managed to get into. Generally on your bumpers and tied as deeply into the uni body as possible.

installing the new transfer case with sye may fix those vibes. There are may threads on how to do that correctly. You likely have an 8.25 rear end so the 8.8 while an upgrade isn't a must do right away. But a good thing to have if you break your current axle.

Trail spares are things like axle shafts, driveline, and various suspension parts that might get broken while wheeling hard.

I'll look into a sway bar. I heard the disconnects break all the time. I do have at least one recovery point in the front. might have to look into more. What can add to those? I'll look into the transfer case as well. I wasn't planning on changing the axle until something like it breaking happened. I do have the chrysler 8.25. I definitely have 0 trail spares. As far as the gas mileage...I think I get right around there maybe 16.

COG is center of gravity. You want it low but odds are you're not going to have to worry about it.
Hacking your fenders for clearance and keeping your lift low would be way more effective than skipping a roof rack. It also depends on what you throw up there. A 53" tire + water/gas cans might be concerning.

If COG concerns you keep heavy crap inside and light crap ie tent sleeping bags whatever up top. That'll save your back too. :)

Thanks for the clarification. I am cutting the fenders on Sunday and my lift is 3.5" so pretty low. I definitely would try avoiding the wheeling with a bunch of things on top. It would mainly be for when I'm camping or traveling and need the room. I'd take off everything once I arrived to wherever.

Save your money and drive it a while and see what you want to improve for your self before blowing 1g on random stuff that may or may not be useful to you.

Howdy, all are good points above, but as everyone's asking what do you want to wheel? If your planning on rock bashing it would be completely different set-up than if you wanted a expedition rig. From what you are saying you have at least a decent base to go with for now; lift, gears, tires, etc. In my experience I would go with making sure you have good recovery equipment first and fixing the weakest links, OBA or a CO2 tank, probably upgrade the tie rod (you can either buy a new one or go the ZJ route) hi lift, hack the fenders (make sure you read up on how to do it properly), tow straps, recovery points, decent CB and basic stuff (Fuel filter, swap the fluids, possibly a tune up, etc.) . There are tons of treads on upgrading parts with junkyard parts that are a major improvement over stock for cheap. If you want a simple fix for the rust look at POR 15 expensive but works.

Hey ctxj I think we met at O'briens the other day.

If you don't have them already, the first thing I would put on is frame stiffeners... HD Offroad sets a full set for front to back for $330 to your door. (And they are a NAXJA sponsor.)

http://hdoffroadengineering.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/xj-frame-stiffener-set

I wish I had put them on my rig BEFORE I damaged the "frame"... instead of after. For hitting the rocks in SoCal, they should be the first things you install IMO.

... and invest in waterproof stuff sacks ...

Having to dry all your clothes at the campfire after getting caught in a thunderstorm sucks. :D

This thread is 8+ yes old, I'm sure things got done since then!

As to what you should do first... Well that depends. Do you like the way it drives? Other then the windows are there any other issues?
Does it or do you have the basics for off roading: (lower on the list = more hardcore wheeling)
1. Quick disconnects for front swaybar
2. Gas tank skid plate
3. Highlift Jack
4. Recovery points and recovery gear
5. Winch + Accessories
6. Trail Spares (Replacement parts so you don't get stranded)

I could go on all day but that is likely a good start.

A Good Radio, Health and Saftey kit, CPS :)

Back