• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new tires with stock suspension.....Help

RED TONTO XJ

NAXJA Forum User
well another nube question. im geting a set of almost new BFG A/ts fore $150 ( 31x10.50/15 ) and have a stock suspension and can get a bb set up made fore the rear but, i dont know what to do fore the frunt. Autozone has 3in lift springs for $30 but i dont know if i should get them or not.

88 4dr 4x4

help

Depends on how much lift you need. Replacing my stock front coil springs with ones from a V-8 Grand Cherokee picked up the front by a little over 2 inches. The springs are cheap, and installation pretty easy.

im thinking 3in but not shure. the rear sits maby 2-3in higher than the frunt. also thinking a bout springs frum another truck or suv,any ideas?
im looking for enuf fender room to fit the tires and to do moderet trail riding.

I can only say that i put the very same tires (including size) on my 89 2 door. I had lifted it with a Pro Comp 3.5 budget lift (add-a-leaf). It sat just high enough for decent trail riding.Whatever you do to the front you will want about 3 inches at least.And youll want a rim with more back spacing because the tire will rub on that lower control arm at full turn.Not ALLWAYs but only at full turn.
I know thats not a lifting it answer but just my experience. Good luck.

I've run 31's on stock suspension for a long time with very little problems. Only thing I've had is a slight rub at full flex on the inner rear wheel well. As far as what to do suspension whise I'd have to ask what kind of wheeling do you plan to do. I run the 4's and 5's with what I have now all I've done so far is a lock right in the front and stock limited slip in the rear. Getting ready for a 4.5" lift and 33's next. If you are lookin for cheap I would advise 2" shackles and spacers. You can do this for under $100.

Another noob question, but with some insight? If you raise the vehicle with new springs, should you NOT also loosen and re-tighten all the bolt to all the bushings in the suspension??

When you replace bushings, your supposed to leave the bolts loose until you have the vehicle resting at normal ride height on the ground and then tighten all the bolts. If you change the ride height, seems to me, you need to redo this procedure and re-reference all the bushings.

I believe the idea is, as the suspension moves, the bushings are anchored in the center and don't move, while the bushing twists and flexes with the outside edge anchored with the moving suspension part.

So, at normal ride height, 99% of the time, the bushing is not twisted or flexed, only when the suspension moves. But if you tighten down the bolts to the bushing when its NOT at normal ride height, the bushings spends 99% of the time in a constant state of twist and flex. As well, the bushing tightened down at normal ride height may flex, as the suspension moves up and down, say +/- 20° (within its design). But if you tighten down the bushings at other than ride height, then at ride height the bushing is already flexed, say 10°, than as the suspension moves up and down, the bushing has to flex +10° in direction and -30° in the other direction (maybe outside the design of the bushing.)

I just got a new track bar for my XJ, looking at the rubber bushing on the axle end of this, it does NOT look like it has enough rubber to take being twisted or flexed outside of its design and still last a long time.

Rick Anderson said:
Another noob question, but with some insight? If you raise the vehicle with new springs, should you NOT also loosen and re-tighten all the bolt to all the bushings in the suspension??

When you replace bushings, your supposed to leave the bolts loose until you have the vehicle resting at normal ride height on the ground and then tighten all the bolts. If you change the ride height, seems to me, you need to redo this procedure and re-reference all the bushings.

I believe the idea is, as the suspension moves, the bushings are anchored in the center and don't move, while the bushing twists and flexes with the outside edge anchored with the moving suspension part.

So, at normal ride height, 99% of the time, the bushing is not twisted or flexed, only when the suspension moves. But if you tighten down the bolts to the bushing when its NOT at normal ride height, the bushings spends 99% of the time in a constant state of twist and flex. As well, the bushing tightened down at normal ride height may flex, as the suspension moves up and down, say +/- 20° (within its design). But if you tighten down the bushings at other than ride height, then at ride height the bushing is already flexed, say 10°, than as the suspension moves up and down, the bushing has to flex +10° in direction and -30° in the other direction (maybe outside the design of the bushing.)

I just got a new track bar for my XJ, looking at the rubber bushing on the axle end of this, it does NOT look like it has enough rubber to take being twisted or flexed outside of its design and still last a long time.

The bushings should be okay-they are made of flexable material for a reason, otherwise on the trail everytime you flexed you would have alot of wrench work....that would make for a long day.

For a 3" difference in ride height, maybe so.

But depending on the bushing, tightening them up by the wrong procedure, say when the suspension is fully extended with the vehicle up on jackstands, I would "think" it could make a difference, because you take the normal deflection in one direction, well past the extreme.

Just loosen the suspension bolts a couple turns so they're not tight, set it weight on wheels with the new springs, and then torque them back to spec.

well i dont know what 4 and 5 for a trail is cause iv never ben to a organized trail ride but the trails i plan to ride on are modoret. iv got some s10 leavs i can tear apart fore the rear but still unshure about the frunt springs?

o and if it helps my rear leavs are in realy good condition

but will the 31s fit(on stock sus) with only minor rubing?

Back