• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New stuff on rear of XJ

jeepingben

NAXJA Forum User
This weekend I finally got all the stuff off my garage floor and on to my XJ. I had been waiting to install my Tailbone, Hidden Hitch, and Rusty's fuel-tank skid until I had a chance to drop the tank and make an access hatch. With all that stuff installed, a fuel-pump would be a 2-3 day job otherwise.

While the tank was down, I replaced the strap-bolts and the evap tube. I also sprayed the now inaccessible area above the tank with fluidfilm to slow down any rust.

i.php

I was very impressed with the new Rusty's skid. There have been a couple improvements since 2009 when I bought the last one. The skid now clears the hidden hitch without modification and there is an extra bevel on the front corner to keep it away from the exhaust. The change to clear the exhaust required extra cuts and welds during manufacture. It is great that the cheapest bolt-to-framerails skid plate is still being optimized.
i.php

The Tailbone (taken off my old XJ) went on with all new hardware ordered from Detours USA so the spare is out of the cargo area and my fire extinguisher is back where it belongs.
i.php

i.php

So, Hidden Hitch + Detours Tailbone + Rusty's gas-tank skid is possible without any modifications to anything.

I'm doubtful, unless you are running stock sized tires. You may be able to, but I'd not make a blanket "yes" statement, but rather caveat it by saying you'd need to take careful measurements.

I have a 265 on my tailbone - but I notice that the tires in the photos are all tilted upwards, so maybe I have an older version - and the end of the tire is over the 0 in my license plate. From that point to the hinge on the carrier is just about 15 inches. The jerry can holders I've looked at all measure about 14 1/2 inches.

5A76A5FE-BF4E-4BCF-A3BD-645163710B0F_zpsdztf39gr.jpg

Last edited:
Back