• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New shock absorbers

CharlesS

NAXJA Forum User
The Jeep presently has a set of 5100 series shocks in the front and recently the shocks have been showing signs of age so I am considering upgrading to a set of Bilstein 10" 5150 series.

http://www.eshocks.com/bil_ORsb.asp?Series_Index=Q8&Manf=All&SubChar=Q

The Jeep has the RE 5.5" HD lift and is used on rock trails, dirt roads and occasional desert runs.
Trying to decide between the two different valve ratings of 255/70 and 170/60.
Just wondering what valve ratings you are using and why.

Charles

The Jeep presently has a set of 5100 series shocks in the front and recently the shocks have been showing signs of age so I am considering upgrading to a set of Bilstein 10" 5150 series.

I run 10" 5150s on the front of my XJ. You most definitely want the 255/70 valving. If they had a heavier valving, I would run that due to the extra weight of the winch and bumper.

The lighter valving is for dual shock installations.
I have a set of 5100s on the rear and they are firmer than the front shocks.

170/60 is for dual shock applications. Personally I would try to track down a used set of 7100's and go with some firmer valving

I have a C4x4F front bumper, but no winch.... so the front is not carrying the extra weight of a winch.
While the 7100s would be nice ... locating a used set of 10" probably wouldn't surface too soon... and new at $200 per shock would be out of my price range.
Thanks for the information.....

So the consensus is that the 5150s even with the higher valve rating of 255/70 are still on the soft side.
The 7100s are nice, but more than I can afford...

A friend recommended the Rancho Silver gas charged shocks and another recommended the DoeschTechs..

Any other recommendations and what are your experiences with them?

Charles

Last edited:
I'm thinking about buying a set of two 255/70 and putting them in the front. Then if I feel they are too soft, will put them in the back and possibly get some 7100s for the front.

Decided on the gas charged Rancho RS9000XL w/ 10" travel.
Purchased them for $85 each with FREE shipping; received them the next day.
Just need to dial in the settings for trail and hwy.

Charles

Back