• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New rustys xj 2" kit.......or regular bb

jpars said:
ive had the xj a year, been reading this site for about a year.

jesus, i know what i want. i AM doing it right the first time.

i am going to college next year, will have no money for future upgrades etc

maybe, just maybe, i actually like my cherokee as is, am ENJOYING wheeling it stock right now, and dont want or need a big lift right now.

i want 2" and 30s. better offroad, better looking, good start.

is that such a damn crime?

Wow man... clam down alittle. I know what you mean, I WAS there too! I also only wanted alittle lift and smallish tires, guess what... I'm 8 months later and regretting it. College kills every wallet, but trust me, if you like your Jeep at all, you'll find a way. I know I did.

Anyway, as for the 2" lift, if you really really want to do it that way (again read almost all of us saysing don't do it) it depends on the condition of your current springs. Are they in good shape? Personally, I guess I'd go for the Rusty's 2" kit with the coils, but I havn't ever dealt with them before (as well as it seem funny the 3" is $5 cheaper with more parts...).

Next time, no need to get upset, we're only here to try and help if you'll listen. With whatever you do, Good Luck.

k, im not mad at all, sorry if i sound like it, its just like you cant win here.

its just like-
if im going 2" im not going high enough, and i need to get rustys 3" kit instead.

A simple search will turn up tons of people saying rustys 3" kit is completely inadequate.

Also, because 2" isnt high enough, and i go 3, i might have vibes.

So a tcase drop is in order.

Another search will show a million people critisicsizing the tcase drop with a fiery passion.

So then the option is wait, get something like an RE 3.5 kit and SYE, and that becomes the right option.

but then i go wait.........i dont want an RE 3.5 kit, sye, etc. Yes, i probably will in the future. But i kind of want to progress.....ive been wheeling my rig stock and loving it. So i figure 2" and mud tires for a year or two or three or who knows forever might be a great way to start getting more into it.

in a perfect world id be making more money, could go bigger and do it right etc, but im not.

Stock leaf packs are fine, no sag
Shocks and Tires are toast.

So i need new tires asap.......this is part of the reason if im going to do this it should be soon. Sure i could save, work a lot this summer get a good big kit and the SYE.....but im on bald AT's and not about to waste 300 bucks on a crap set until i get more money.

So.....do you guys think i should really say screw anythign 2" and actually go Rustys AAL 3"? I could maybe get LCA's for my birthday in May.

Any vibes would HAVE to be fixed with a tcase drop. There is no room for a sye right now. no money. and no money for full leaf packs.

I know all about not having money. Im just getting done with college, having said that, I am known to take out private loans for "school" to support my stupid partying and even more so, my Jeep ;)

One thing I do like about you, is that you aren't spoiled, and have mommy and daddy buy you a 6 inch Longarm kit, and then have some shop put it on for you. Then you, with no experience, go out and roll ur newly lifted rig, possibly injury urself or others. Seen it happen.

You've done some homework, lerked around here for awhile, and want to wheel with what you can afford to get. Might sound stupid, but learning how to drive is big component.
Not disagreeing with anyone, because you definitely will want to go bigger and badder down the road, but its good to build..learn to wheel it
build...learn to wheel it.

Nothing pisses me off more than spoiled ass punks.
Sorry, I just blacked out there for a second. Did I even say anything that made sense or that was relevant at all?

pipes94xj said:
I know all about not having money. Im just getting done with college, having said that, I am known to take out private loans for "school" to support my stupid partying and even more so, my Jeep ;)

One thing I do like about you, is that you aren't spoiled, and have mommy and daddy buy you a 6 inch Longarm kit, and then have some shop put it on for you. Then you, with no experience, go out and roll ur newly lifted rig, possibly injury urself or others. Seen it happen.

You've done some homework, lerked around here for awhile, and want to wheel with what you can afford to get. Might sound stupid, but learning how to drive is big component.
Not disagreeing with anyone, because you definitely will want to go bigger and badder down the road, but its good to build..learn to wheel it
build...learn to wheel it.

Nothing pisses me off more than spoiled ass punks.
Sorry, I just blacked out there for a second. Did I even say anything that made sense or that was relevant at all?

your talking to a 17 year old who worked in a resturaunt and bought his own xj for 3250.

trust me, that makes sense.

i have done my homework, lots of it, more then you could ever possibly imagine. that is why my gut is saying rustys 3" aal with tcase drop and no new lcas is NOT going to drive you to and from college for the next 4 years, or be exceptional offroad.

i really felt that 2" kit from rustys looked really good and just wanted some opinions on it.

as far as you disagreeing with everyone and telling me to build it progressively.....screw everyone im going 2" and 30s. not a monumental change in handling, breaking, or mpg, the next step up offroad , especailly with mud tires instead of AT's, a lot more fun and a better look, im sold. Im not buying into the idea that you have to go huge or go home.

I'd go with the Rusty's kit. I bought the RE 2" AAL kit, and i have to tell you the back end of my jeep is very stiff. I heard the short AAL gives you more stiffness than a top (long) AAL. Also, i did get vibrations with my 2" lift when driving 40mph+. I spent a little extra for Rusty's crossmember with a 1" drop, and it drives much better. I alsowent with the crossmember because i wanted to keep a smooth look and not look pieced together.

Hope this helps!

Im surprised this hasn't been asked either...what kind of wheeling do you plan on doing?

I bought used TeraFlex 2" Front Poly Spacers for $30, and then I bought the Rustys 2" Full-Length AAL for $59 = my 2" BB Lift

about 2.5"

Helped a friend Install Rusty's 2" AAL and a set of OME front 2" coils, a few weeks ago. Went very well ended up with about 3" to start and has settles to about 2.25". Jeep looks good and is perfect for 30" tires.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2308229/4

sjan said:
Rocky road 2 in. $139 Works great on my 99

hey, sjan.. do you really like that? I was looking into getting that myself, only maybe in a 3" (considering it's $10 more than the 2" minus shipping). A friend sent me that link because I am low on money and looking, but I'm just not sure if it's just really cheap. Any comments?

I have heard some bad things about the rockyroad company lately but a few years ago I ordered one of the 2" budget boosts for my old cherokee. Well I still have the old shackles on my new jeep (very beefy) and the spacers are on a friends jeep. Well spent money IMO--------------Kyle

Wow, this thread went crazy.

Preferably, with any lift, you want to get full leaf packs, it's simply the best option. How long your stock spring packs will last with the other option will depend on how much you wheel and what kind of wheeling you do.

Short AAL: Don't do. The may make for a softer ride but they will kill your spring packs.
Long AAL: Second to full packs. They will probably make or a bit of a rougher ride but if you don't wheel hard or a lot they should last for a while. Plus, it'll give you time to save up more money for full packs/sye/track bar etc....
Shackles: Give you some more articulation. They will eventually weaken the spring packs but if you have good rear spring to begin with, it shouldn't be a huge deal.
Blocks: Simply stay away from them!

Don't let people talk you into going higher than you want. I've been at 2" for more than 2 years. It'll give you time to learn what you can and can't do with your Jeep. Also once everything settles, you shouldn't have any issues with vibrations. Chances are you will wont to go with a bigger lift eventually but if you don't have the money, staying at 2" for now will give you the chance to save up.

I was in the smae boat, in high school, now in college which I'm paying for, and I can't work a ton of hours. Over the last couple years I've saved up enough to order a 3" Rusty's kit and have the money for the SYE if needed. It's simple, if you don't have the money to do it right, then wait or go smaller, you got the right idea.

Nobody should be talking anyone out of a smaller lift because of "inchitis". Going right out and wheeling with a jacked rig will take a lot less thought and skill then starting offf witth a smaller rig and working your way up. In my opinion, driver skill is a lot more valuable then having a built rig.

Hope that helps.

Hey, Thanks guys.

I totally agree with you, DDCxj. I only have so much money and I really don't want to dump it ALL into my Jeep, just yet (lol). I'm thinking 2" with 30's to start (and that's all my dad would probably let me do, for now). And I'm not going to let people push me around and tell me I need to go higher.

What do you have on your Jeep for a lift (brand, I mean) ? Because I am new to most of this and I am totally confused as to what to buy or look into. The Rocky Road stuff just caught my eye because it was the cheapest thing I've ever found. And I know cheap doesn't mean good. But good also doesn't mean it has to be expensive either. Anyway... and thing else you suggest? Is that totally crap, or what?

Good god.....

I wheeled 2" Rusty's kit and 30" Dunlops for 3 years. It was tons 'o' fun.

No sagging, no problems. The kit damn near fell onto the Jeep.

Here's a pic:
56156472.jpg

The big rocker dent happened before I put the kit on it.

Friends don't let friends use lift blocks.

XJ Jeepin Girl said:
Hey, Thanks guys.

I totally agree with you, DDCxj. I only have so much money and I really don't want to dump it ALL into my Jeep, just yet (lol). I'm thinking 2" with 30's to start (and that's all my dad would probably let me do, for now). And I'm not going to let people push me around and tell me I need to go higher.

What do you have on your Jeep for a lift (brand, I mean) ? Because I am new to most of this and I am totally confused as to what to buy or look into. The Rocky Road stuff just caught my eye because it was the cheapest thing I've ever found. And I know cheap doesn't mean good. But good also doesn't mean it has to be expensive either. Anyway... and thing else you suggest? Is that totally crap, or what?

On my '91 that got totaled a few weeks ago I had sort of a mix of stuff. I replaced the front springs with a set of progressive rates that were suppsed to be stock but once they settled they netted me 2". I replaced the rear springs with medium duty springs which netted 1/2" and then a little over a year later added Teraflex shackles. I never had my rear spring weaken because of the heavier spring rate and the fact that they were only a couple of years old. I was able to fit 31s on it without rubbing although I never disconnected the sway bars.

The most respected company on this site is rubicon Express. I've never owned there stuff but I know plenty of people who do and have driven rigs with there stuff and they do make real good stuff. RE usually costs a little more but its worth it if you can afford it.

I've heard a lot of good and bad feedback on Rusty's. If you search you'll see. Most of the bad stuff is about things like their trackbar bracket and stuff like that though. Personally, I like how their stuff rides and the lifts themselves seem to hold up good from what i've heard. I'll be getting their 3" AAL kit this week for my new Jeep, I'll have a PORC SYE on hand just incase I have bad vibes, and in a couple years I plan on buying full leaf packs.

I was also looking at the OME kits. They are real good, never heard anything bad, but they are extremely expensive.

I would recommend staying away from Skyjacker and Tomken. I know a few people running their stuff and its just crap, mainly the leaf springs.

Also, it is very possible that you will need an SYE with 3" of lift, especially with a 96+. I've even haerd of some of those years with the "up country" package coming from the factory with 1" t-case lowering kit on them. Just because one Jeep can be lifted 8" without an SYE doesn't mean another one wont need one with a BB.

You can definetly get a good lift for cheap. And theres nothing wrong with a BB as long as your stock springs are in good shape to start with.

Carquest HD coils: Search here and you'll find the part# for them. They give 2-2.5" of lift depending on the jeep-- Out the door for under $70. Pick up a set of newer used xj leaves, and build your own pack. Cost $75-85 (possibly cheaper). Then pick the shocks you want to use.

www.Rocklizardfabrications.com also has a write-up on this type of lift, and actually sells it now too. Guy that owns the business is "stand-up" all the way.

My .02

-Kevin
cyberbackpacker

Thanks again, guys. So many options! It'll be a while before will get anything, but I'm thinking ahead. I am hoping to have made up my mind about what I want to do by summer time. And then hopefully save during the summer and try and convince the 'rents to let me de-stock my xj... lol.

Sorry to hear about the totaled XJ DDCxj... that is unfortunate. I haven't really considered and/or understood the SYE thing... but I'v heard lots of chatter about that... (sorry, I am uneducated...) But, I probably won't be doing more than a 2-2.5" lift... or else it'll be bigger than my bfs lift, haha! So hopefully I won't have to worry about that...? Man, getting parts is one thing... then I have to put it all together. I hope my local friends got my back. Oh wait... I don't have any local friends... : / *worries*

jpars said:
ive had the xj a year, been reading this site for about a year.

jesus, i know what i want. i AM doing it right the first time.

i am going to college next year, will have no money for future upgrades etc

maybe, just maybe, i actually like my cherokee as is, am ENJOYING wheeling it stock right now, and dont want or need a big lift right now.

i want 2" and 30s. better offroad, better looking, good start.

is that such a damn crime?
I'm pretty much in the same boat you're in. I am now seriously considering the Rusty's kit too since I don't think I can afford what I originally wanted. I'm also in college and on a very tight budget. For 2 springs, shocks, and a long AAL, it looks to be a pretty good deal. Compared to RE and I want to stay away from just a spacer/shackle lift. I'm also have no intentions on wheeling rocks so I think 2" will be adequate for what I plan on doing.

BTW since you're in Portland and say you're going to college next year what college are you going to?

i was definitly considering the rustys kit too. what i might do is get the rustys coils, and then run a 2" block and some $150 shocks. I will say though that the Rocky Road kit looks good. I might go with that. If you do go witht the Rustys, let us know how you liked it.

Back