• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Renix Coolant Bottle and Cap problems

Well, I guess it's time to decide which bottle I am gonna get. The factory original bottle has developed a crack in the bottle itself, and weeps fluid out of it when it's hot. Not enough to need to refill the reservoir, but you can see the leakage.

Not to bad I guess for 346,000+ miles......

Will the factory cap fit the omix-ada bottles, or the other brand replacement bottles ? or will a new cap also be needed ?

Yes, but I would pick up a Stant brand Volvo cap anyway.

Yes, but I would pick up a Stant brand Volvo cap anyway.

I'm with Ecomike on this one.

The Chinese cap that comes with the Chinese bottle won't hold for long, it will start "poping" over the bottles threads in a short time.

The caps from the dealership will work, but one of the problems is the hood hits the cap and promotes the cracking in the bottle.

The Volvo cap, Stant 11244 has a couple of advantages, one of which is a lower profile, seals great.

Guys, just want to share this with you. No more Jeep Caps, don't buy em they are junk!! Here is what you do, go to the Junk Yard or to Pick and Pull and locate a Volvo 740 or 940 turbo, there are plenty of em at the JY. Like XJs, 740 and 940 turbos were produced forever. You should be able to recognize the turbo from the non turbo by the additional plumbing. Locate the coolant bottle and make sure it has the green coolant cap. Pull it off and install it on your XJ. I have had the same cap on my XJ for over three years and never had one leak with it.

Here is another trick that you can do, locate a Volvo 240 non turbo and grab the coolant bottle off that, you can grab the cap with it but 240 non turbos had a blackcoolant cap and don't have the higher pressure rating that the green cap, mentioned earlier, has.

The Jeep bottle and the Volvo bottle are pretty close in dimension, also the Volvo bottle seems to be made of a thicker material than the Jeep bottle. The only difference being is that the small inlet hose located on the top of the tank is slightly smaller in diameter than the Jeep tank. I purchased a reduced diameter fuel barb and simply installed it onto the Jeep inlet hose with the reduction end going to the bottle. Install the proper diameter of hose there and you are good to go.

To make the Volvo bottle work on the Jeep bracket you only need to push the bottle inboard (towards the engine) and it will work fine. The rubber hold down strap will now pass over the cap rather than the bottle. I will see if I can post some pics later on

Any questions?? ask away

I wonder what ever happened with this?

I'm with Ecomike on this one.

The Chinese cap that comes with the Chinese bottle won't hold for long, it will start "poping" over the bottles threads in a short time.

The caps from the dealership will work, but one of the problems is the hood hits the cap and promotes the cracking in the bottle.

The Volvo cap, Stant 11244 has a couple of advantages, one of which is a lower profile, seals great.

I'm gonna keep the stock one as a spare, and will have the new one as well.

The cracking on my bottle doesn't appear to be from the hood hitting it. The cracks are on the opposite end of the bottle from the hood, almost under the strap, but I may bend the shelf down some to make sure.

The Stant brand Volvo bottle cap is still working perfectly on the renix bottles on both our DDs! Cost about $7 at Autozone. Also this cap lowers the profile just enough so that the hood does not push on the cap and bottle thus damaging the bottle over time! Seems the old Renix dealer caps were not as tall as the current China caps that are coming with the new Crown (china) import bottles.

The CST brand (made in Israel) Volvo bottle cap failed to tighten properly right out of the package!

Same thing just happend to me with a CST.. VatoZone didn't list a stant for the volvo.. I"ll try Advanced Auto tomorrow.

Same thing just happend to me with a CST.. VatoZone didn't list a stant for the volvo.. I"ll try Advanced Auto tomorrow.

Update on the Stant Volvo cap--Stant changed the part number to 10224, rockauto.com $5.77; I picked up my last one from an independent parts store for $9.

Vatozone doesn't carry Stant.

Schucks might.

Napa doesn't.

10244 fits mid/late 80s - mid 90s Volvo 2.3 L--if I remember right.

Nice update Joe. Thanks.

For those having any cooling problems with Renix, I am still using the Volvo cap and Modified Renix bottle, and other modes I discussed here and in my other Renix cooling problems threads here last year. So far the mods all working perfectly, in 95 F Texas humid heat.

And I don't see any signs of stress or leakage any where on mine.

Dec 11, 2010 update. Still no problems, no leaks, no overheating, no coolant loss. Fix has stayed fixed now for a good 16 months. That includes our 87 and 89 Renix jeeps, both DD's with working ACs.

picture.php
picture.php
I know, it's an old thread. I just wanted input on my Volvo bottle set-up.
Been holding strong for a year now, with a JY bottle 15 years old and still better than my last Dorman that lasted 4 months!

Only problem is top hose inlet is smaller than stock but I just kept a little peice of rubber from the Volvo hose and stock 5/8 fit right over it.

Also it gets close to the a/c thermal exp. block on bott. hose so buffering is required.

Still like it better than the OEM football.hasta

Mine has held up on both jeeps for 2 years now, about 25 months, including record 105*F heat wave in Houston...Texas...

Updated, nearly 3 years now, and both Renix bottles, on the 89 and 87 are holding up just fine.

Back