• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New motor installed, cant get it started.

OK.......I changed it. Fired up with just a tap of the key. I let it warm up

60 psi oil cold 25 after the t stat opened.

I let it cool down and rechecked the compression.

125,135, 137, 132,135, 127. There must of been some carbon displaced when I cleaned out the intake on the head, holding the valves open a little giving me a bad reading. It has a bent harmonic balancer ad a little exhaust leak, no biggie.

Ok 400 bucks for the jeep, 200 for the motor, 50 for tow dolly rental, 75 in gaskets and oil. Im going to put in a new Rad (80 bucks) and hoses 30 bucks. 50 bucks for a new headliner and 100 bucks for a new stereo.

985$ total...And it has 3/4 tank of gas in it!!!!!

Not bad under a grand for a 98 sport 2wd with a perfect body, new tires, 50% brakes, tinted windows.

Im stoked!!!!!!!

Now If I ever run in to any of ya, you can smack me for overlooking the basics.

Thanks Everyone! Now I have a cheap daily driver, so I can build my 4x4 98 xj

I wish I could find a deal like that.

This is the 4th for me like this. Just keep your eye out. If I am in the mood to buy one, I use craigslook and keep checking all the time. When it pops on move quick or its gone. So far 4 scored the same way.

3 98 and a 01

* $700 for my first red 98 se 4x4. cracked Head (Fixed and Sold) 2k profit on that one and drove it for 6 months.
* $1000 for my second. Red 2001 Limited blown motor. (Fixed and sold) 3k profit and drove it for 3 months.
* $500 for My 98 se 4x4. Nothing wrong with it except really dirty and overheated. I have $1145 into it and it runs like a champ. That is with brand new tires, brakes, rotors, rad, headliner. Still needs a transfer case chain. Prob keeping this one.
* $400 98 sport 2wd and have a 1000 budget. This one is really nice, keeping this one as well.

Agreed. Even the FSM is misleading as to how to index it. Been there, done that...twice!

Well now I know how swap em out like a nascar pit crew. Last night around 11 after I finished up and was really fricken hungry. My running jeep had the dist out as I was using it for testing on the other one.

Grabbed a cordless impact, spark plug socket, 1/2 open end, flat head, compression tester and a flashlight.

Pulled the #1 plug and spun on the compression tester. Watched for compression to come up, and aligned it to 0deg tdc.

Spun the oil pump gear to the 11 oclock position. Used a screwdriver in the FIRST index hole. She dropped right in. I have learned of the proper position to get to that retaining bolt, snugged that up quick.

Threw the cap and wires on and put the #1 plug back in. 153624

Looked at my watch and it took 12 min!!!!!!!!!! 10 min after that I had a tasty Big Mac.

Last week that would of taken me 3 hours of looking at manuals, reading posts on here and Scratching my head. Then STILL not get it right.

Live, Listen, learn. By the time I die I hope to learn 10% of what I thought I knew when I was 18.

Live, Listen, learn. By the time I die I hope to learn 10% of what I thought I knew when I was 18.
Same here :thumbup: I intend to learn everything or die trying.

Glad you got it working! That first compression number you gave was a bit scary, don't think it'll even fire till around 110psi, so it's a good thing it came up a bit once you got it started.

Back