• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New member from Loveland

SCarGo02

NAXJA Forum User
I just wanted to say hello as I see quite a few folks from Northern Colorado seem to be pretty active on here (some that even go to Andersen's regularly like us)! I'm not new to Mopar, but this is my first time working on a Jeep. Last summer the girlfriend and I picked up a 1998 XJ SE 2-door, 4L, 5-speed, 4x in Cheyenne for peanuts. It needed a head gasket, new PS pump/gearbox, and a yoke for the rear end.

We finally got it all buttoned up (this is her project vehicle) and running yesterday. Although not very pretty externally (lots of character dents, hail damage, etc) the interior is very clean and it should prove to be a reliable rig once we finish sorting it out. She'll primarily use it for hauling dogs, winter months, and possibly some light 4-wheeling.

She doesn't plan to do much, just a 3" lift and some 31" tires on a nice set of Icons that we picked up recently. When we bought it it came with a matched set of tires, but mismatched wheels; Gamblers on the passenger side and steelies on the driver side -- although it came with 2 more of each wheel.

Anyhow, I just wanted to say a quick hello and introduce myself.

20140621_174742_zpskqyo3y1t.jpg

Welcome!

Welcome :cool:

There a lot cooler without Sean in them, and the correctly angled rear bars. :)

Thanks for the welcome guys! No chopping of this 2dr...at least not in the foreseeable future! :laugh2:

The girlfriend was very specific when she was looking -- she wanted a '97-'01 in a 2-door, and preferred it to be black (somehow all of our vehicles are currently black, but most weren't on purpose). and an automatic (but I think she realizes the 5-speed is the better way to go)!

And with that being said after numerous hours spend on this XJ I might have to get one of my own. :eeks1:

Thanks for the welcome guys! No chopping of this 2dr...at least not in the foreseeable future! :laugh2:

Yeah, please don't make your rig look like that Colorado wanabe's junk...

The girlfriend was very specific when she was looking -- she wanted a '97-'01 in a 2-door, and preferred it to be black (somehow all of our vehicles are currently black, but most weren't on purpose). and an automatic (but I think she realizes the 5-speed is the better way to go) :eeks1:

Hate to break it to you but an auto will work better offroad than a standard, especially in the rocks.

Well now that the Jeep is out of the garage and easier to get around the 4 matched tires are now on 4 matched wheels...

20140623_184635_zpsrxpuyrjc.jpg

20140623_184650_zpsywvuv1bz.jpg

And these lovelies are hitting Craigslist this evening...
20140623_184704_zpsut1muvdp.jpg

Hate to break it to you but an auto will work better offroad than a standard, especially in the rocks.
I doubt she'll ever be taking it in the rocks as it'll be her commuter/bad weather/dog hauler.

I don't know how the automatics in the late XJs are, but if anything like the 2nd gen Rams I have mixed feelings (just had the transmission rebuilt in my '96 1500). But with the upgrades it received it should be much more bulletproof than it was from the factory.

I don't know how the automatics in the late XJs are, but if anything like the 2nd gen Rams I have mixed feelings (just had the transmission rebuilt in my '96 1500). But with the upgrades it received it should be much more bulletproof than it was from the factory.

You have an Aisin Warner aw4 transmission which works very well behind the 4.0. If you take good care of it doing the maintaince required, it will last you a very long time. ;)

You have an Aisin Warner aw4 transmission which works very well behind the 4.0. If you take good care of it doing the maintaince required, it will last you a very long time. ;)
Sorry for the confusion! The Jeep is a 5-speed (AX15 if I'm not mistaken); I was simply commenting that some Mopar automatics in the 90s were so/so, at least in stock form.

Welcome. If you find a replacement front fender, I can squirt it for you.

Yeah, please don't make your rig look like that Colorado wanabe's junk...

Me want to be from Colorado? You must have me confused with some one who actually likes this state

Me want to be from Colorado? You must have me confused with some one who actually likes this state

LOL..... got ya :D You been here a while now, but I still smell bullshit when your around ;)

Sorry for the confusion! The Jeep is a 5-speed (AX15 if I'm not mistaken); I was simply commenting that some Mopar automatics in the 90s were so/so, at least in stock form.

No problemo, maybe I am easily confused ;) That is a good manual tranny for the jeep. I still however prefer an auto in my junk. :cool:

No problemo, maybe I am easily confused ;) That is a good manual tranny for the jeep. I still however prefer an auto in my junk. :cool:
Now knowing they're not Chrysler transmissions, it does make the automatics more appealing! If she doesn't end up liking a manual (been a while since she's had one) maybe we'll find her an automatic and I'll take this one! ;)

Andersons in Greeley has a 97+ black XJ and if I recall the front passenger side fender was ok.

And Welcome to NOCO naxja. I live in Evans/Greeley area work in Berthoud so I'm all over the northern front range.

Andersons in Greeley has a 97+ black XJ and if I recall the front passenger side fender was ok.

And Welcome to NOCO naxja. I live in Evans/Greeley area work in Berthoud so I'm all over the northern front range.
Thanks for the welcome! If it's a 4-door, I think it's a 2000 or 2001 -- we got a really nice, nearly mint silver Icon wheel out of the back. Didn't even think about the fender when we were there last! :twak:
We're gonna head out there Saturday to bring a core back for the wheel and I need to see if there's a bed there for my Dodge pickup (and of course see if there's anything new).

Back