• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new here, lokking for places to wheel in santa barbara...

.hendrix.

NAXJA Forum User
like i said, i'm looking for areas to go wheeling in santa batbara. i'm familiar with the area as i've lived here all my life, but i'm new to the off road scene. can any one give me any directions to places to take my xj. i have an 1987 xj with a 2.5" re lift, 30" hankook m/t's, 242 tc, diff and tc skids, and limited experience driving off road...

I just started going to school at UCSB this Fall and it looks like other than some scenic dirt roads, it looks like your best wheeling will be a few hours drive away to big bear, or the local deserts. There is some great hiking and diving though, so I am happy. Let me know if you find anything intersting.

i'm not a big fan of sand, it's pretty hard on vehicles. i know about all the dirt roads and such, i was just wondering if i had overlooked something, because thunderbowl is getting pretty boring...

In SB county
There are two fun spots on West Ceillo.
The "Buckhorn" on Colsen Canyon near the Seirra Madre junction.
Rock Front off the 166 east of Tepesque junction.
Catwalk to Davey Brown connector, closed right now from Zaca fire.
Oilpan Alley (BC109) off Lockwood Valley
Ventura and San Luis have many more being the next counties.
PM me if you want to go wheeling.

.hendrix. said:
i'm not a big fan of sand, it's pretty hard on vehicles.
How so??? Sand is very forgiving on your vehicle overall. Only two things to keep an eye on...tranny temp can get warm if your not careful, and make sure you air cleaner setup is good (stock is hard to beat).

JohnX said:
How so??? Sand is very forgiving on your vehicle overall. Only two things to keep an eye on...tranny temp can get warm if your not careful, and make sure you air cleaner setup is good (stock is hard to beat).
the sand gets in everything, and stays if there is any oil. i have no problem with it in dedicated off road. perticualary sand, vehicles, but not for my daily driver...

RobertF said:
In SB county
There are two fun spots on West Ceillo.
The "Buckhorn" on Colsen Canyon near the Seirra Madre junction.
Rock Front off the 166 east of Tepesque junction.
Catwalk to Davey Brown connector, closed right now from Zaca fire.
Oilpan Alley (BC109) off Lockwood Valley
Ventura and San Luis have many more being the next counties.
PM me if you want to go wheeling.

thanks. i'm working on my jeep right now to get it ready to go to the desert in january for a m.o.r.e. race and i'd like to get some experience before i go. i might just send you that pm later on...

.hendrix. said:
the sand gets in everything, and stays if there is any oil. i have no problem with it in dedicated off road. perticualary sand, vehicles, but not for my daily driver...
true, i still have sand from my XJs first trip to glamis, 4 years ago :D it takes a certain type of person i guess. i wear my mud and dirt like a badge of honor, the dust and sand like a commendation, the dents and scratches like scars of a battle with nature herself. my XJ has been to hell and back and im proud of it :patriot:

.hendrix. said:
thanks. i'm working on my jeep right now to get it ready to go to the desert in january for a m.o.r.e. race and i'd like to get some experience before i go. i might just send you that pm later on...

I try to go wheeling every weekend I can afford the gas.
It's really a hundred+ mile trip to the really good stuff, but the local stuff is fun too.
A hundred puts me at the Pozo/Turkey Flats area, the Miller Jeep Trail, or Rowhers Flats. That's sort of north, east, and south east of here.
A few more miles puts me at the southern end of the Sequoias,(the Greenhorns, Piutes, Lake Isabella), the Jawbone, Red Rock, Last Chance/Randsberg area, or the edge of the San Bernardino forest (Cleghorn) This is also north east, east, and south east of here.
A few more miles (200) puts me into the Sierras east of Fresno (awsome trails), Death Valley (great exploring), Calico, or the Big Bear area. Again, north, east, and south east of here.
Desert in the winter, Sierras in the summer.
I was in snow half way up my wheels last weekend, I think it's time to head to the desert till spring!
Anyways, local is still fun, and I don't have to get up at dawn-thirty!
If you need any help or ideas working on your Jeep give me a call, I'll Pm you my number.

JohnX said:
Head on up to Pismo....hard to beat the sand for a good time.

thats what i was gonna say. not sure if there's much wheeling IN Santa Barbara, but a short drive any direction should net some good stuff.

RobertF said:
I try to go wheeling every weekend I can afford the gas.
It's really a hundred+ mile trip to the really good stuff, but the local stuff is fun too.
A hundred puts me at the Pozo/Turkey Flats area, the Miller Jeep Trail, or Rowhers Flats. That's sort of north, east, and south east of here.
A few more miles puts me at the southern end of the Sequoias,(the Greenhorns, Piutes, Lake Isabella), the Jawbone, Red Rock, Last Chance/Randsberg area, or the edge of the San Bernardino forest (Cleghorn) This is also north east, east, and south east of here.
A few more miles (200) puts me into the Sierras east of Fresno (awsome trails), Death Valley (great exploring), Calico, or the Big Bear area. Again, north, east, and south east of here.
Desert in the winter, Sierras in the summer.
I was in snow half way up my wheels last weekend, I think it's time to head to the desert till spring!
Anyways, local is still fun, and I don't have to get up at dawn-thirty!
If you need any help or ideas working on your Jeep give me a call, I'll Pm you my number.
unfortunately, my jeep only has a 13.5 gallon tank, which kinda puts me at a loss as far as driving ~100 miles + wheeling. at 13mpg the extra five gallons of gas in the back doesn't give me much confidence either. but maybe, i just found another gas can so i might give you a call...

Stop at a gas station in the area prior to getting to the trailhead....

Miller J/T, BC109, Gorman.... There is a Flyin J truck stop, plus others in town to fill up before you hit the trail.....

.hendrix. said:
unfortunately, my jeep only has a 13.5 gallon tank, which kinda puts me at a loss as far as driving ~100 miles + wheeling. at 13mpg the extra five gallons of gas in the back doesn't give me much confidence either. but maybe, i just found another gas can so i might give you a call...

.hendrix. said:

do a search on here about your tank.

both tanks are the same size, there's a difference in the orientation of the vent pipe that will give you a 20 gal tank.

Back