• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Headliner...Yeah! DIY

noresttill

NAXJA Forum User
Happy Holidays all!

Been awhile, but here is my new headliner.

Picture003.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture001.jpg

I used contact cement (not the jell as another How To proposed)
and 100% polyester fabric so there is no shrinking and no need. to sew or wash and dry.

I put a coat on the headliner board, let it dry, then coated both the board and fabric and laid it on from the middle out. I also didnt cut the holes till after it was done and dry

I did this at the beginning of the Florida summer and its lasting great, so I figured I could now post about it.

Again, Happy Holidays,

Jesse

That looks good. Mine is falling out again and it was redone earlier this summer.

Where did you get the fabric, a crafts store? I'll eventually need to do mine, but the thumbtacks giving me headroom should work for a while.

Thanks,

The switches are:
1. Top forward lights (2)
2. Top forward lights (2)
3. Top Reverse lights (2)
4. Rock Lights
5. Hazard Beacon (Soon)
6. Hazzard Beacon (Flashes to "I wish I was in Dixie")
7. Hyperspace SWITCH (I dont do buttons)

Honestly, the switches fit, so I just added them in case I think of sonething. And they light up. THEY LIGHT UP!!

Jesse

This is where I got the bulk of the directions:
http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Interior/Headliner.htm

The differences are:
1. I used a gallon of regular contact cement.
2. I used 100% polyester, so no washing, drying, or sewing since my peice was just long enough with 3" over-lap on all sides (it wont shrink)

I put a coat of cement on the bare headliner and let it dry. I then put one more coat on it to reactivate it and one coat on the fabric. Dont let it fold over on itself!!!

Dont let it fold over on itself!!! Wait the perscribed time listed on can.

I had 2 other people with me that held either end (longways) and one of us smoothed it out from the center.

After it dries, glue the overlaped fabric to the backside. While its upsidedown and dry (I waited a day) cut out the holes using the old holes as a guide.

Put it in!

Any questions?

Jesse

I used 1/2-can of 3M #77 spray adhesive when I did my MJ (obviously less area to deal with). My wife got the material on sale for $1.99 a yard at the fabric store. It was a medium grey material that looked like thermal underwear fabric. It was just stretchy enough in both directions to make all the curves without wrinkling and actually looks pretty good with the grey interior. Still holding up great two years later.

haha i did this too, mine was hangin down in my face when i bought the xj. U just take the old fabric off, clean the foam pad, spray adhesive and lay down the new fabric. I went the stock color/fabric, but i like yours a lot too. :D

total cost was about $30. 10 for that fabric (I set a limit)and 20 for the cement.

I wanted to do the sistine chapel, but couldnt find it. Oh well, Im glad you all approve.

Jesse

i really need to do this to mine, so thanks.

one Q...i got a sunroof in my heep...anyone got suggestions for resaleing this while im doing the headliner?

Back