• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Garmin Legend HCX questions

WEJOXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I broke down and bought the forementioned GPS. Less than impressed with the auto basemap. Looking to get a topo map program for now, then a city map later. Help on the following questions would be appreciated.

1. How much terrain will a 1 or 2 GB micro SD card cover? Ultimate goal is to have topo maps of my hunting, hiking, fishing, camping spots (300-400 square miles, varied areas of the state) as well as a street map of the top 3rd of Utah for my wife. Is this feasible with one of these size cards?

2. Do I have to use Garmin's map software? Or can I use something else like National Geographic, etc?

3. Any micro SD card should work right?

Spent so much time researching units, that I forgot to investigate some of the ancillary items.

Thanks in advance.

tbrunson said:
I broke down and bought the forementioned GPS. Less than impressed with the auto basemap. Looking to get a topo map program for now, then a city map later. Help on the following questions would be appreciated.

1. How much terrain will a 1 or 2 GB micro SD card cover? Ultimate goal is to have topo maps of my hunting, hiking, fishing, camping spots (300-400 square miles, varied areas of the state) as well as a street map of the top 3rd of Utah for my wife. Is this feasible with one of these size cards?
I have a 1gb card in my 60CSX and it will easily cover 60% of the united states
2. Do I have to use Garmin's map software? Or can I use something else like National Geographic, etc?
What do you mean by "use"? Can you down load their maps into your gps? No but you can use your unit with them to make and download waypoints and routes. I would actually suggest this because on a computer the garmin topo stuff isn't very good.

3. Any micro SD card should work right?
It should

Spent so much time researching units, that I forgot to investigate some of the ancillary items.

Thanks in advance.

1) My sister has ALL of the City Navigator for California on a 1GB card.
2) You need Garmin software.
3) Yes

National Geographic has topo software on disc if memory serves. Differing opinions on quality. If the unit can't use the software (Nat'l Geo.) then it's a null point. Just thought there might be a better or cheaper alternative to Garmin's stuff. Thanks! The info helps a lot.

As DrMoab asked, it depends on your definition of "use"

If you mean something that can be downloaded to the GPS and show a topo map then yes you can only do that with Garmin software. The Garmin Topo 2008 version is roughly equivalent in detail to the USGS 1:100,000 series of topo maps. Garmin does sell topo software that is equivalent to the USGS 1:24k topos, coverage is limited to National Parks and surrounding areas.

The National Geographic series is nice because it IS the USGS 24k series. Only problem is that you can't download the maps to the GPSr. What you can do is mark waypoint, routes etc. on your desktop/laptop PC then download those to the GPSr.

I use both the Garmin and NG software.

Do you like the GPS so far? I have one on order...

Thanks for the info Karstic. Think the Garmin program will get me most of what I am looking for based upon your last post. Thanks again for the info from both you and DrMoab.

98XJ..... I am okay with it so far. Again not impressed with the auto basemap and the general idea that I just spent all this money and now need to buy "this or that" if I want to actually do something with it. The general mapping functions are great, easy to use. Suppose it would be viewed in a better light if I was traveling somewhere new on the road everyday. The Hunt/Fish calendar will be nice given the appropriate time, the moving average/direction/distance/elevation screen is cool too. Just not sure that what you get in the box is worth what you pay in general (isn't that always the case?). The WAAS could prove to be a lifesaver someday though. Picks up signal quickly.

Bottom line: Would like this more if it were $50 cheaper or came with topo or CT Navigator software at the current price point. It offers a conveniance factor that you don't get with a traditional map and compass setup.

I agree on the price, If I didn't have a gift card I wouldn't be getting it. I figure the road software is going to suck up here because they all usually do. Plus I don't plan on using it on the road all that much.

Back