• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new fan clutch

What kind of motor did the Taurus have that this efan is coming from?

There were some differences, I heard.....You'd want one from the 3.X V6 engine as it cooled better is what I heard.

The fan I got was actually out of a 290hp Lincoln Mark 8 V8 engine:D . There is a fan used on the 3.0 V6 and one used on the 3.8 V6. Mine is the latter... they have 2 speeds, low is around 2000 cfm and high is an astonishing 4500 cfm! I actually don't have a cooling problem because of the new rad and the e-fan is making up for the loose clutch, but this will hopefully take care of ANY future airflow issues, and to boot should also help cool off the a/c while idling/moving slowly.

Check on eBay, when I looked there were lots. I know a lot of people question the prospect of getting rid of the mechanical fan, but there is no way in hell that clutch could generate 4500 cfm, especially when idle, and Siemens is a fantastic brand of electric motor (which is what the Taurus fans are). I'm not doing it for a power boost but any increase in throttle response/fuel economy will be an added bonus.

Sounds good. Hopefully I'll get it before the weekend, it will probably take some time to trim down but that shouldn't be too bad; and there's a Harbor Freight right around the corner for all the essential bolts and other random connections/fabricating supplies I will loot around for to make the fan fit nice and tight :)

My mech fan/efan and 3 core rad are doing fine for now but eventually I'd love to do an efan conversion with a fan like you got (Ford or Lincoln, whatever). Thanks to you I'll get a heads up on how it fits and such :)

To get it on, I just ended up taking the fan clutch off and putting them both on at the same time. I thought about getting a Taurus fan, but then I read that It will put alot more strain on the alternator, especially when on high speed.

That's good you got it on. Hopefully your new clutch works well.

About the Taurus fan; I have also read about increased strain on the alternator, but I run very little in the way of electrical accessories (headlights, small power inverter powering very small speakers). I don't have any huge off road lights/winches, etc to put a huge load in the charging system.

And if the fan runs on an f'ing Ford Taurus, it damn well better run fine on my XJ! (I have absolutely no evidence to back up this claim, only ignorant pride...:yelclap:

If you see a new alternator being bid on by me on ebay... try your hardest to refrain from sending a witty comment.:doh:

Well I went and tested everything out today. The temps went up to a little before half way in between the 210 line and the line after that. The temps held steady at that temp for about 5 min, sitting in my driveway. I brought the RPM's up to about 1200 and the temp went right to 210, I let it go back to idle, and the temp crept back up and stayed steady between 210 and the next line.

So as of now my temps are anywhere from 210 to the needle riding right after 210 when driving, and halfway between 210 and the next line while idling.

That midpoint on the temp gauge between 210 and the first white line is about 220-222 or so... the temperature that your electric fan probably kicks on; are you idling with or without a/c? Even when my jeep was in perfect shape, the mechanical fan alone could not keep the temps down in the summer months by itself. The e-fan was enough to slowly bring the temp back down but it took awhile.

Hmm... I thought that line was the midpoint between 210 and 260, equaling 235? I'm pretty sure the redline starts at 240. My jeep's temps haven't been up that high in awhile, but I could unhook my e-fan and hit the tstat with my ir thermometer when the gauge shows that midpoint and see what it is. Of course, god knows how accurate my gauge is!

I am not sure what was done to it to keep it constantly running. It does look like some wires running to it were routed differently to keep the e-fan on. But it has been like this since we got it, so I am not sure exactly what is done to it.

Back