• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New exhaust work

fallacist

NAXJA Forum User
I had some exhaust work done when I first got my jeep. It dumped right before the rear axle out of a turndown.

Then i lifted the jeep, which put the axle right under where the turndown dumps, melting my e-brake cable and leaving black residue on the axle. I brought it back to the shop, told em whats happening, and asked for them to shorten the whole system.

I guess that was going to be an issue doing that way, so the guy did this:

xZfI4l.jpg

Bsqg9l.jpg

not exactly what I wanted, and I don't see how cutting, bending and welding that single piece on took an hour of labor, but my new year's resolution is to "relax more", so I'm not going to jump to any rash conclusions or down anyone's throat.

Do you guys see a potential for clearance, or rubbing in the future? It would seem at full flex(only 3" of lift in rear) it might possibly get pinched.

Should I just got longer bumpstops for the rear and not sweat it?

Looks fine to me clearance-wise........ except I don't know why any self-respecting exhaust shop would allow for short-cut exhaust systems except in race applications. Especially on vehicles that will see time sitting and idling and/or moving slowly for periods of time. Exhaust gasses will build up in the high spots of your jeep's floor between the unibody rails. Exhaust gasses can work their way into the cab.

They were inches from doing that exhaust correctly.........

I can't tell how close that is to the gas tank, but if it is too close, you risk the plastic tank melting.

is what i have worth taking back? I mean, is it that bad, or would I come off as a petty customer. Besides, if I DID have to get it fixed, I don't think I would take it to the same place, and eat the cost knowing it would be done right.

Its about 3.5" from the gas tank. The stock exhaust ran by the tank, but there was a heat shield between the 2 as well.

It is not the heat radiating from the pipe you need to worry about, it's the hot exhaust coming out the end. I know I've read about this happening but I can't remember if it was on a XJ or a TJ.

Edit: Found the thread about melting a gas tank. Keep in mind it was on a TJ but the same thing could happen on any vehicle with a plastic tank.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/melted-my-fuel-tank-1219125/

Last edited:
so you guys are saying he should have made it a couple inches longer? tossing a tip on would fix that, right? or even an adapter or sleeve

I don't know if you have to worry about emissions or not, but I'm pretty sure it'd fail the visual inspection the way it is now. They have a rule that the tip of the exhaust must be directed out and away from the body. Reason being is the exhaust fumes build up if it dumps underneath and travel inside the vehicle ( as Troy stated above ).

The bend over the axle looks good and should clear fine, but he should have ran the exhaust pipe between the leaf spring and gas tank towards the back of the Jeep...pretty much just like the stock exhaust was.

you should of just gotten a factory tailpipe from autozone for $30 and been done with it

yeah, woulda shoulda coulda...

don't have to worry about emissions its registered in NM

personally I'm fine with this set up, even though it wasn't my first choice. I just want to be done dealing with it and move on to other things, and I wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing a glaring issue. Although some questions were raised, you guys aren't really making too much of a fuss, so I feel like it will continue to get me from point A to point B.

I'll keep an eye on the gas tank, thanks for that heads up

Back