• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New driveshaft being made for advanced adapters sye kit question

Mcmadman

NAXJA Forum User
OK so I'm in a pickle the guy when I talked to him originally didn't ask me for these numbers and I need the driveshaft made up today or I won't make it to the dunes this weekend... my guy measured 32.75 from face of output yoke to face of pinion.. and the driveshaft guy is asking me for flange pilot diameter and bolt circle measurement???

Well,you dont have either.Tell the shaft maker you are using U-joints on both ends.Size should be 1310 u-joints on most standard XJ axle combos.

NP231 in front of an 8.25? Grab a stock front DS, change the u-joints with a socket and hammer and go have fun and deal with the vibes from being unbalanced for the weekend.

Or buy a driveshaft that isn't undersized and worn out.

That is the worst advice I ever see go around naxja. Its not even complete. Does OP have an auto or manual? That's amost a 3" difference in driveshaft length with everything else being equal. And there are like 6 different lengths of stock front driveshafts.

But as Wayne said, you don't use either of those. Tell your driveshaft buy 1310 CV at the top and 1310 at the bottom, no flanges.

That is the worst advice I ever see go around naxja. Its not even complete. Does OP have an auto or manual? That's amost a 3" difference in driveshaft length with everything else being equal. And there are like 6 different lengths of stock front driveshafts.

But as Wayne said, you don't use either of those. Tell your driveshaft buy 1310 CV at the top and 1310 at the bottom, no flanges.
I asked about having a stock front XJ shaft rebuilt and balanced locally and was quoted $250-$280 by a few different shops.

To me unless you're just trying to get a DD on the road for a while, I think it's money well spent to get a beefy DS made.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OK so the guy I'm having put it on said for me to tell them to just set up the ends like a front drive shaft . I do have an automatic ..8.25 and 231.

FWIW, I guess I wasn't clear that it my suggestion was for this weekend and that was it. And I assumed the front would then be a trail spare to get him home. I'd never run a front full time in the rear but it would work in a pinch.

OK so the guy putting it on measured I think 32.75 from yoke to pinion and said it was literally the same size as a front drive shaft and thaf I should run that..either way I'm getting one made as we speak I'm just making sure I told the guy the right thing at the shaft shop

If you can safely fit a front drive shaft in for the rear drive shaft i say run it. I have been running a stock front drive shaft in my jeep for over 2 years now with no problems. Makes it a lot easier to only have to pack 1 extra drive shaft in the jeep while wheeling that way in case you break the front or rear drive shaft you have 1 that will work with both spots. There are lots of people out there that are running stock front drive shafts in the rear.

Sure I guess this thread started off with the guy asking me for 2 measurements I had no idea what he was talking about . Told the guy just make the ends like the front ds of an automatic and I'm going to pick it up in a bit

FWIW, I guess I wasn't clear that it my suggestion was for this weekend and that was it. And I assumed the front would then be a trail spare to get him home. I'd never run a front full time in the rear but it would work in a pinch.

You weren't but i do agree with that sentiment.

But yeah front driveshafts arent really a 1 size fits all, they are all over the place.

There are in fact numerous different lengths for stock XJ and ZJ front drive shafts. The NAXJA FAQ's has the data -> http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1118885.

The most common XJ, a 4.0L with an AW-4 automatic will have a front driveshaft that will likely work with any Advance Adapters style HD SYE, and any hack and tap when combined with 3 inches of more of suspension lift.

There are lots of people running XJ front drive shafts on the rear axle with their SYE, including me.

Back