• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new 35s and 7-8" lift, reeealy bad pinion angle haha

thats a good looking set up leftlanetruckin. how do you like the SSRs? i havent found a hole lot of guys running them, what PSI do you use for the street?

I really need to adjust this castor before i do anything else, its starting to bang bad im pretty sure i toasted the u-joint, if i did that is going to blow. Im probably going to have to pull the axle for now.

Thats a nice jeep i like it, and i like your set up to, 6.5" lift and 37's thats cool. How do you like the rubi axles? are the D44's? did you have to shorten them at all?

Whats the specs on the rest of your jeep?

Rubicon axles are D44s, and they do not need to be shortened to fit in an XJ. TJ rubicon front axles are a direct bolt in.

O ok. You have to mod the backs through to fitleafs right?

I dident think D44s were strong enough for 37's i though you had to go with a 9" for 37s?

Getting into axle strength and tire size is too long and exhausting.

Some people have good luck with axles, it all depends on the terrain you wheel in, your driving habits, and the actual axle components. I know people who run 36's fully locked on D30/D35 combos.

If you go to 37's, there is no rule saying you need a 9" rear end. D44's, depending on stuff mentioned earlier, can stand up, and D60s, 14 bolts, etc are all good axles besides the 9"

And yes, you have to add spring perches onto a TJ rear D44 to fit it into an XJ.

If you are only going to be running 35's, judging from your post earlier, then I would say get an XJ D44, and then get alloy shafts. Its cheaper than trying to get a 9" to fit, as its a direct bolt in, and you can get an OX (which is what I run F&R in my 44's) for it, as they don't make one for the 9" axle.

thanks guys!
a little off topic, so i appologise.....
but here ye go.
as for the ssr's, they are a little noisy on the road, but not obnoxious at all. worse than my prior toyo open country mt's, but better than a lot of the boggers etc. i run @22psi on the road.
they are jk dana 44's, which are stronger than the tj rubi 44's. i havent personally seen an issue with them running over a 37's tire, so i feel confident. i am not hard on my junk, slow an easy is the way in the rocks IMO. my last heep had 37x14'50's on a very built 30 and 8.8. never had issues, so i trust the jk axles. as far as fitting to the xj goes, an install kit for the front and just leaf perches and shock mounts for the rear. the front is basically a plate that holds the coil and shock. pretty easy setup IMO.
as for the rest of my junk, it has full frame stiffeners, aj's super rock rock rails, arb front bumper, custom rear, wireless controlled winch going in as we speak, alcan rear leafs, re monotube shocks, rusty's 6.5" coils, re 1.5" boomerangs, ho's shackle relocation kit, full skid plates front to back, arb locker switches, stereo for the wife n kids,and so on.
i have a klune v on the bench ready for install, but i am sick of tearing it apart and want to enjoy it for a while!:laugh: will probably do it over the next winter period. may get a regear to 4.88's, but it honestly isnt too bad on the 4.10's. the heep only has 78k miles, so i guess that helps a little.

back on topic, sorry for the long winded reply fellaz

martin

Ya i want to run OX b/c then you dont have to run a compressor like you do with arb. I dident know there wasent a OX for 9" but i do know. Ya im only gona run 35's so i think i will go with D44's then. Ill find a XJ D44 if i can then a rubi front D44.
Rubis have alwasy had D44 upfront am i right?

Ya i want to run OX b/c then you dont have to run a compressor like you do with arb. I dident know there wasent a OX for 9" but i do know. Ya im only gona run 35's so i think i will go with D44's then. Ill find a XJ D44 if i can then a rubi front D44.
Rubis have alwasy had D44 upfront am i right?
yes.
the tj ones were supposedly weaker, is why i have the jk ones.
downfall of the jk axles is having to get new wheels. different bolt pattern, and the 4wheel disk brakes really like a 16" rim instead of a 15".
for the price, a set of jk axles is hard to beat. especially when you factor in gearing to 4.10 and selectable lockers. the 4wheel disks are a bonus.
if you could snag a pair of used tj rubi axles, it would be money well spent IMO.
by the time you add up gears, a rebuild (tj rubicon axles shouldnt need a full rebuild, yet)and selectable lockers, the axles are about free!!:rof:

martin

The TJ rubi axles are D30/D44 hybrids. They have a D44 center section, but D30 tubes and outer components.

Alright cool. Well i have tires, axles, lockers and gear ratio figured out. Now i just have to figure out what lift i want to go with.
Its between eather
6.5" clayton long arm or
RE 5.5" and 1" spaces to get me to 6.5"
I thought about rustys 6.5" but everyone says there stuff is junk

Last edited:
The TJ rubi axles are D30/D44 hybrids. They have a D44 center section, but D30 tubes and outer components.

thank you sir!:patriot:
i couldnt remember the exact difference, just heard they were weaker (old age maybe?:banghead:).
now i have seen a tj rubi front axle fall apart on 33's, well the knuckle fell apart anyways.

martin

RE 5.5" and 1" spaces to get me to 6.5"
I thought about rustys 6.5" but everyone says there stuff is junk

A new RE kit will probably net you about 6.5" untill it sags. The only thing worth a damn with rusty's is their springs IMO. I have read negative reviews regarding his Leaf springs but many people run them and have no complaints.

i run the rusty's 6.5" coils, and thats it from them. maybe the leafs were rustys too, but rode like dogshit IMO. the coils ride very well, so i dont have an issue with those. as for the rest of the stuff they make, cant comment.
i doubt anyone could go wrong with a full clayton kit, never heard anything bad about them.

martin

i run the rusty's 6.5" coils, and thats it from them. maybe the leafs were rustys too, but rode like dogshit IMO. the coils ride very well, so i dont have an issue with those. as for the rest of the stuff they make, cant comment.
i doubt anyone could go wrong with a full clayton kit, never heard anything bad about them.

martin

Nice jeep by the way.

Alright well i figured it out and i going with
Clayton 6.5" lift
D44's f&R
4.56 gears
35 TrXus Mud Terrain tires or the new BFG km2
OX lockers f&R

What you guys think? any thing you guys would change?

Back