• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Neutral Safety Switch Install (yes, I searched)

If the NSS has failed, it will not crank. It's function is to inhibit cranking unless you're in park or neutral by only providing a ground path for the start relay when in those positions. When it fails, it stops providing the ground and therefore fails to allow it to crank at all.

Is it possible for a faulty NSS to cause you to have no reverse lights, but still start fine? The previous owner of my rig had the reverse lights wired to a toggle switch, but I would like to fix them right if possible.

Yes, this is possible. When I bought my 98 Limited last December this was the case. I had reverse lights about 1/3 of the time but did not have a starting problem.....yet. I rebuilt it outside in about 9 degree weather and it took me less than an hour for my first attempt. I found all the instructions here on the forum along with pictures......search is your friend. The whole fix cost me only one bottle of dialectric grease.

Is it possible for a faulty NSS to cause you to have no reverse lights, but still start fine? The previous owner of my rig had the reverse lights wired to a toggle switch, but I would like to fix them right if possible.

Yes. In fact it was the lack of reverse lights that made me remove and clean up mine. If you end up breaking your's try www.teamcherokee.com for a replacement as they about 1/2 of what the dealer will charge.

Back