• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need u-bolt plates milled

Peacefrog53

NAXJA Forum User
Got some u-bolt plates from Dirtbound and need the holes milled to 5/8 from 9/16. Does anyone have, or know of a place, that has a mill to do this near Lake Forest/Mission Viejo? The plates are 9/16" thick I believe.

I can do it for you.

I live in Tustin, work in Irvine. Just need to meet up somewhere in between.

You can drill them, but it might be a hassle. The slot will want to grab the end of the drill bit.

You can get away with drilling if you have a decent drill press and clamp them in place. Then use incremental drill sizes to open the hole. You'll also want to run the drill somewhere in the 200-300 rpm range. Too fast and you'll burn up the bit. Too slow and the drill might try to screw it's way through the slot.

Also, are you sure you want 5/8" holes? The 9/16" slot most likely was for a 1/2" diameter U-bolt. If you are installing 5/8" U-bolts, you might want to go to 21/32" or 43/64".

If you try to do it by hand and don't have the right tools or much fab experience, you may get hurt and probably won't like the way they look afterward.

PM me if you want me to do it for you.

go see vanimal in escondido or take them down to dumptruck at CTM.

ya i guess i can do this lol...

really though, im at my shop most days of the week. weekends are best cause then im doing my own thing.

quick easy job. im about as far as dan, little closer. dans at his shop more though......

Lol.....what ever happened to using a die grinder :doh:

If it's moving you have issues. Hit it with a die grinder to open them up a bit and call it a day. Use socket head cap screws for your leaf pins 3/8 x enough length to make it through the pack.

After a closer look it turned out the holes that were CNC'd out for the U-bolts were tapered top to bottom. Thinking maybe Dirtbounds CNC needs a little adjusting. I hit it with an old rat tail file I have and they fit just fine now. I didn't think to turn the plate upside down and check the opposite side. :doh: Got the new shock mounts welded on too.

I appreciate the help guys and will keep all the info for future reference. Always good to know some guys that have access to the good machines.

Thanks again and see you at the Festival de las cabras!!!!!

Back