• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NEED TO SOFTEN MY RIDE (leaf springs)

If you look at the angle of your shackle it is almost straight up and down. For best ride they should angle forward about 20 degrees. This will also help flex by allowing more droop. The only way to change this angle is to move the upper shackle mounts forward or use a spring that is slightly longer behind the axle. Using a longer spring require boomerang type shackle to keep it from hitting the body when the spring compresses. Poly bushings will pivot easier and help the shackle move easier. Just changing to a boomerang type shackle won't be any different than a straight shackle of the same length. Angle is determined by drawing a straight line from the center of each mounting bolt. A longer shackle will pivot easier and help slightly with ride quality. Other than that softer springs or shocks with softer valving is the other way to improve ride quality.

Removing them completely and getting some RE packs would do it. Or going spring over and getting flatter springs. ProComp leaves bring the stiffness. Yo.

No reason to get your panties in a bunch green 50 . People like you make this site not what it used to be.

People like me? People like me that tried to give you a better resolution, but your so hard headed that you couldn't even listen to anyone when they were trying to help? :worship: Yep..your right. :looser:

centralmax said:
Im glad you know to bow to your master, 50.
I moved the front spring mounts forward and it rides 100 percent better! thanks TNT!!!
Wait so you got shackles or...?

You relocate the upper shackle mounts forward so the shackle is at the correct angle, it makes a huge improvement.

You moved the FRONT spring mounts forward? That isn't what TNT meant. I'm assuming thats a typo, or I'm just misunderstanding. I beleive this is what TNT was refering to. I did improve the ride a lot, and flexes great. This is the shackle angle pretty much fully stuffed. Just sitting, the angle is probably about 20-30 degrees.

3-12-07065.jpg

no.. moved the mounting point of the front leaf spring forward (where it connects to the shackle. So the Shackle mount to the frame was actually moved rearward slightly to get an angle or 20ish. Before, they were straight up and down... I said it wrong the first time.

"no.. moved the mounting point of the front leaf spring forward (where it connects to the shackle."

Now that is confusing. 1. XJ has no front leaves 2. An XJ's rear spring does not have a shackle at the front 3. Assuming you meant you moved the front mount of the rear springs forward, that would cause the rear shackles to slant toward the front--not good. The suggestion was to move the top of the rear shackle forward, causing the shackle to slant to the rear.

My bad; thought this was an XJ forum:D

xjbubba said:
My bad; thought this was an XJ forum:D

It is that is why I answered about how this is done on an XJ.

He then applied it to the front of his YJ.

This needs to be done to most of the XJ's I've seen, it helps ride quality quite noticeably. Flex is improved quite a bit also.

This is what shackle angle should look like at full stuff on an XJ.

jakec said:
I believe this is what TNT was refering to. I did improve the ride a lot, and flexes great. This is the shackle angle pretty much fully stuffed. Just sitting, the angle is probably about 20-30 degrees.

3-12-07065.jpg

I will be swapping in some dodge van rear springs which are slightly longer than XJ springs behind the centerpin. The center pin is located in the same distance from the front spring eyes as XJ springs. With some boomerang shackles they will work great.

Now if some spring makers would use longer main leafs and sell them with the boomarang shackles it would be a great product.

does anyone have a pic of the boomerang shackles installed on their XJ? I have been trying to figure out how to soften the ride on my XJ that has the RE3.5 inch lift. If the boomerangs will do it I will buy them tomorrow!! If it makes any difference I have the RE 3.5 superflex

A boomerang, by itself, will not soften the ride. I know this is highly debated, but that's just not the way it works. Boomerangs are great for dealing with longer springs where the shackle starts hitting thing when flexing. But, if you don't have any clearance issues, there is no benefit to boomerangs. Draw a straight line between your shackle eyes, and that is still your shackle angle. It's the same principle that applies to your trackbar. The bends are for CLEARANCE. You can put all the bends you want in it, but it still doesn't change the actual trackbar angle. The only way to change the angle, is to move the mounting location, or implement longer leaves. Anyway, that's my take on it:lecture: . I'll shutup now.

jakec said:
A boomerang, by itself, will not soften the ride. I know this is highly debated, but that's just not the way it works. Boomerangs are great for dealing with longer springs where the shackle starts hitting thing when flexing. But, if you don't have any clearance issues, there is no benefit to boomerangs. Draw a straight line between your shackle eyes, and that is still your shackle angle. It's the same principle that applies to your trackbar. The bends are for CLEARANCE. You can put all the bends you want in it, but it still doesn't change the actual trackbar angle. The only way to change the angle, is to move the mounting location, or implement longer leaves. Anyway, that's my take on it:lecture: . I'll shutup now.

Well said... I made the key points bold... :cheers:

Ok I understand that. Now let me ask what about the revolver shackles? They are made by TeraFlex and are in the new Quadratec cataloge. Is that what they are designed to do, soften the ride?

Semper Fi said:
Ok I understand that. Now let me ask what about the revolver shackles? They are made by TeraFlex and are in the new Quadratec cataloge. Is that what they are designed to do, soften the ride?

They do nothing for ride quailty.

They are a way to get added suspension droop. They work good on a RTI ramp but can cause some strange(almost dangerous) handling at times... There are way better ways to spend your money.

so there really is nothing I can do to soften the ride on the cherokee? Removing a leaf is not an option!! I paid for those leafs, expensive, and they are going to stay. If the boomerang shackles and the revolver shackles don't work, and I'm not going to remove a leaf, is there anything left to do to soften it up a little? The wife and kids hate to ride in it as it is, not always bad!! (LOL)

Semper Fi said:
so there really is nothing I can do to soften the ride on the cherokee? Removing a leaf is not an option!! I paid for those leafs, expensive, and they are going to stay. If the boomerang shackles and the revolver shackles don't work, and I'm not going to remove a leaf, is there anything left to do to soften it up a little? The wife and kids hate to ride in it as it is, not always bad!! (LOL)

Relocate your upper shackle mount forward, and use a slightly longer shackle set at the correct angle. Problem solved. It will flex better too.

Back