• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need to borrow a race radio for KOH.

We were talking to San Diego from Big Bear while caravaning with ham radio last year, while Johnny who was leading couldn't hear the guys in the back of the caravan on CB..

Damn ham snobs. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. ;)

I also am a ham and have done the expanded transmit mods on my handheld Vertex VX-150 and my mobile Kenwood TM-261. They are both 2-meter ham radios and are very simple to modify. The ham radios are much more versitile and powerful over business band radios. Some websites that should provide useful are qrz.com and mods.dk.

Cool thanks for the tips guys.

I also am a ham and have done the expanded transmit mods on my handheld Vertex VX-150 and my mobile Kenwood TM-261. They are both 2-meter ham radios and are very simple to modify. The ham radios are much more versitile and powerful over business band radios. Some websites that should provide useful are qrz.com and mods.dk.

Ha, I also have a Vertex VX-150. It's a heft one. My mobile in the rig is a dual band Icom IC-207H with remote face kit.

Ha, I also have a Vertex VX-150. It's a heft one. My mobile in the rig is a dual band Icom IC-207H with remote face kit.

5414660_8716bf615a.jpg

ahhhhhh i understand now! Thank you! :D

Last time I checked....isn't the stuff you guys are talking about doing illegal?

Oh geesh, now you are going to give us a hard time about it.... :explosion:banghead:

You know you want one too....

I would love to have one. I am just pointing out this may not be the best place to admitting to tampering with Federally controlled item.

It's just illegal to transmit on the ham frequencies, which we don't do. It's not illegal to transmit on the business band frequencies, which is what all the race radios do. As far as I understand it, the ham radios modified to transmit on the business bands have a lot more features......and are less expensive. Plenty of talk on other forums about this, in fact, it's recommended on other forums.

Last time I checked....isn't the stuff you guys are talking about doing illegal?

no. Mfr's are restricted in the US so they have to ship the radio that way but if you have the proper ham license...its legal. What about FTA :)

Back