• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some XJ help in the Fredericksburg Area ...

Mighty.Mighty_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Is there anyone in this area who could assist with my XJ? My driver rear lower quarter panel is rotting badly, and I'm thinking of "cutting off the offending limb", so to speak. In other words, looking for someone to assist in a rear cut-n-fold. Would like to have it done before we start having salt on the roads. The reason I'll need help is that I already have a steel bumper that wraps down around the panel, so the bumper will have to be removed to facilitate the work, and then replaced. I don't think I have tools, the knowledge or even the manual strength it will take to handle the bumper in order to complete this alone.

I'm thinking this might take several hours on a Saturday or Sunday. We do have the space, but no garage, so if it's done at my place, we'll be outside on the ground (or maybe climb the XJ onto the trailer if needed.

Free food & beer or whatever we agree on if done here in Spotsylvania. Of course I can drive to you ...

Oh, and before I might get ridiculed for being unable to do this, I am just a former city "girl" who moved to good ol' VA a year ago ... not helpless, but this is a bit out of my abilities.

I've done a couple of them in the last year. Wish I was closer. It's not a difficult process, but it is time consuming. Make sure you have an angle grinder with a couple of spare discs, a rubber mallet, a marker to draw cut lines, and some touch up paint to coat the raw cuts. I also used rivets to put the metal together on the fold, and some seam sealant to coat the folds on the inside.

Sounds like it is time for a Wrenchfest in Fredricksburg.

I'm in VA but I'm 4hours away. I have never had a rear quarter rust on the 10 or so XJ's I have owned so no experience at this

There aren't many people from Virginia that check in here. Jon, you are about the only one that is a regular.

Just wow at the fact that there wasn't (isn't) anyone closer that responded. NAXJA is prolly the most active forum I'm involved in, yet here I am, alone, again.
Why do I always end up in the locations where other members are hours away? Go figure.

(That's why I don't gamble, even after living in Atlantic City for over 20 years!)

Oh well, I do know a couple of shops, but I would have preferred to do this where I could participate, bond with some people & learn some stuff at the same time.

You may want to look at some of the quarter panel fold threads on here. It's super simple and could be done with a dremel if you were so inclined. Bigger tools would be much easier but it's possible with minimal tools too.

Fold it however you can, put some sheet metal screws in to hold it in place while you prime it and then apply some automotive seam sealer to the seams to keep it from leaking again. Take some pics of your current issue and we can show you where to cut and where to fold as well.

You are more than welcome to haul it and you down to SC and we could do it in the shop. It's a long way though. Could not do it until next weekend though. We did a evap and heater core in my shop for a member in Fayetville, NC recently. He's now in Korea......

Hmm...It sounds like your biggest issue is getting the rear bumper off. Post up some pictures of the project - the bumper, the rust, etc.

You may want to look at some of the quarter panel fold threads on here. It's super simple and could be done with a dremel if you were so inclined. Bigger tools would be much easier but it's possible with minimal tools too.

Fold it however you can, put some sheet metal screws in to hold it in place while you prime it and then apply some automotive seam sealer to the seams to keep it from leaking again. Take some pics of your current issue and we can show you where to cut and where to fold as well.
Still in the process of reading threads ...
I also did the rear wheel well slice-and-dice a few years ago on my XJ & all I can remember is hammering the sheet metal like crazy trying to beat it into submission. Ugh! I did a crap job there. Wasn't fun, don't really want to deal with that type of thing on my own again. I do have angle grinder & Dremel ...

I'll take pics this weekend

Hey I am about 1:30 from you into MD over the bridge. I've never done the mod you're asking about but I researched it a bit. A friend of mine has a detached garage with a lift in La Plata (less than an hour from you), and we could probably meet there if you want.

You might also try looking up Chaos Fab Shop in Winchester, they do a lot of mods, mostly lift installs and axle work, but might be closer and able to help

PM if you want to meet up

Located just south of you on 95 in RVA!

I did my cut & fold back over the summer, and it's not perfect but works pretty well.

Back