• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some Wisconsin camping suggestions

xj4life

NAXJA Forum User
Wife and I are thinking of taking a camping trip to WI this summer. I've passed through WI a few times but haven't spent a lot of time in the state. We've camped at Devils Lake before so thats out and I don't wanna do what's left of the Dells. I was thinking something along Lake Michigan if there's anything good there but I'd also consider going inland. Wife and I enjoy golfing, biking, hiking, and visiting historical landmarks. Any suggestions?

Plymouth Rock@Elkhart Lake,WI.Have stayed there during the bike races @ Road America before.Nice campground even has a swimming pool.

Be cautious about ticks, especially deer ticks in the SW corner of WI in the spring. Also, if you like Amish, SW Wisconsin is for you. They are settling here like locusts on biblical Egypt ;)

Yellowstone Lake is between Fayette, Blanchardville, and Argile. The main park entrance is on Hwy F. The surrounding area is all AG. The nearest town of size is a toss up between Darlinton, Blanchardville, and Argile; Darlington being the largest. Draws are the lake, equestrian trail (BYOH), some walking/hiking trails, the ice cream store, and the range. Nearest tourist draw(s) are Mineral Point with the Pendarvis reconstruction http://www.mineralpoint.com/art/index.html (Old lead mine area), Dodgeville- House on the Rock, Taliesen http://www.taliesinpreservation.org/ (Frank Loyd Wright). If you got desparate, you could bike the Cheese County (Tri-County)Trail; though it is a multi-use trail, it is mostly used by ATVs. Check the Wisconsin Dept of Tourism for details http://www.travelwisconsin.com/

Personally, I like Door County. You can take a Ferry over to Washington Island and bike the whole island. Winery tours, Cherries and Apples at the right times of year, Maritime Museums up the wazoo, and lots and lots of historical walk thoughs. Algoma is nice, and you used to be able to catch some real nice lake trout and coho off the breakwater. Manitowoc has a WWII Sub that you can walk though, and I seem to recall a Ocean going Tug that was available for walk though, but that may have been Two Rivers. There is also the nuke power plant at Kewanee, but I don't know if they will let you just wonder around there ;)

The list goes on and on of things available to do here. You may want to camp in more than one place and sample a bit of everything around you.

Sorry to ramble...

its looking like Door County might be the winner. a tour of the wineries sounds like fun

From someone that has lived in WI.. for about a decade....

I also suggest Castle Rock and door county....

Have spent quite a bit of time in both areas....

fishing is great at castle rock (or was a few years ago)

door county was great in the fall!!

wyalusing state park. its a couple hundred feet above where the wisconsin and mississippi river meet. holy good views batman.

Being a resident of 21 years (Born here...) I'd recommend Devils Lake, which you've been too, otherwise Castle Rock or Door County, although I don't like it as much in Door County cause everything seems expensive when I go.... Otherwise there's all kinds of campgrounds around, especially around the Reserves and National Forests... Best bet is to drive, drive, drive, if you see one that looks good, stop.....

I tell ya. I LOVE Devil's Lake too. My best memory as a kid in Boy Scouts were the camping trips there. Back in the late 60's you could literally drink out of the lake. You carried a cup in the canoe and dipped it in when you got thirsty. I really like going up to the top of the East cliffs and watching the Eagles and Hawks doing their thing. These days, take up a bottle of wine, some bread and a little thou!!!

devils lake was a great trip for us. we brought a couple kayaks with us and paddled the lake one day. and did hikes the other days.

If you do not like crowds look at avoiding the major attractions on weekends. Like downtown of any Door county town. Of course where I live is pretty quiet. Another beautiful area is near Eagle River. I cannot help you on campgrounds as I don't go to them. I'm usually camping in the U.P.

If your looking at Door County might I suggest newport state park. It is situated on the northeast side of the county. Not sure of your camping "ideals" but it is the only "wilderness" campsite area in DC, meaning your going to need to hike your gear to your site. This however is on a network of well maintained trails. It also helps to weed out the weekend warriors in their motorhomes with televisions and full on patio sets. Try for a more northern site as most of these are located in between Europe lake and Europe Bay (part of lake mich) great sunsets and plenty of wood to harvest for fires.

Back