• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Some diesel help please

Hey I live in B.C. Canada and its all mountains. This engine did suck on the hills when your loaded(temp went way up and speed went way down) But even when I had my stinkin Lincoln 200 amp gasdriven welder in the back it still made it to where I had to go,just a little slower so I had to use the slow lane.Never had a problem with the head gasket on mine the MJ that is. The XJ I bought as a stripped down top end(motor) basket case. Now they used to make I think it was 3 different thicknesses head gaskets but now only carry one(the dealer).Now the diesel is effected by this thickness because everything depends on the compression ratio so thicker is less right.You may have to go to another board and talk to some diesel guru's and give them some more info. I think you said your dad was a heavy duty mechanic so I think he knows all about head torque and sequence . I'm just a millwright by trade and had no problem working on mine.

Last edited:
DieselPioneer said:
I recently bought a 85 Cherokee Pioneer 4x4 with the 2.1L Renault diesel. Renault offered some very good manuals specifically for the Jeep application of the J8S (J8S 814 & J8S 815). I don't know if the 91 has either of these two engines. If it does, it may be worth looking up a copy. I bought a couple on ebay recently, one for the engine and one for the Bosch fuel injection (Items 8013824910 and 8013821117 which I believe can still be viewed). I believe books4cars.com has copies as well. I am looking for parts sources for an overhaul myself. I'll share the couple I have found thus far:

winnebagoparts.com has maybe everything for this engine including pistons, liners, rings, valves, gaskets, etc. I think they are genuine Renault parts as well.

rockauto.com has some parts like filters, gaskets, I believe they even offered a crankshaft kit.

napa has some parts as per one of the previous threads

Hope this helps someone out there. I am looking forward to getting mine on the road!

No suprise on winnebago having them, they produced a diesel powered camper about the size of a minivan in the late 70's which I think had that engine.

Yeah the first time the head gasket blew he took it too a machine shop to have it checked for warpage and told them to call if they found any. They called, AFTER they shaved it, so we're pretty sure they took too much off which is screwing up compression. If parts were availible it wouldn't be much more than a new head but they're just not around stateside. Pioneer, I'll let ya know when we "officially" give up on the Renault, I"m sure he'd be interested in selling it to someone that would use it, Right now we have to get a new Vortec in my sister's blazer.. [groan]

Fudd,
Keep my number in the event you want to part with the Renault. By the way, my Renault manual says, "the cylinder head must not be resurfaced. If it is not within the distortion specification, it must be replaced". The maximum allowable distortion is 0.05mm (0.002 in.). It does not give an explaination as to why (I hate that!). There is a place in England that can supply a new or used head for this engine. Not cheap however. Here are his prices:

The price of a reconditioned head complete with valves & springs is approx. £300 Sterling + VAT
The price of a new head would be approx. £450 Sterling + VAT

His email is [email protected] if you are interested.

Hey X86mjxj what is the condition of your cylinder head and what do you want for it? Also, are there any good parts sources up there for this engine? I need parts like pistons, rings, liners gaskets, etc.

Back