• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some Camera Advice

Jeepedo129

NAXJA Forum User
So, I'm looking to purcase a nice camera for my wife since our last Nikon Coolshot got ruined on our honeymoon so... I think it's time to get her a new one for the up coming Christmas holiday. I'm looking to spend around $500 ish and I want an DSLR but that's about all i know. Canon and Nikon cameras look so similar that its hard to differ between the two. But so far ive been looking at the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi 400D Black 10.1MP DSLR Camera Kit w/18-55mm Lens which I can get right now for about $450. So any advice or past experience would be greatly apreaciated. :wave1:

I will be glad to help you out.

I need to know a few things first tho about how your wife (and possible you of course) are going to use the camera such as:

What kind of pictures you like to take and what are the main subjects ie landscape, portraits, fast action etc.

Also if you are going to use to take pictures at night and how often

When the camera would be used, is it only on vacations or pretty much on a daily basis.

What is the size of the printed pictures (because you do want to put a good picture on the wall or give to friends and relatives, right?) that you would consider printing?

Environment etc etc. Gimme as much info as possible about first how you are going to use the camera and second, what are the most important features to you that a camera would have.

You can send me private messages with this info if you want. There are several categories of cameras and you might not need a DSLR. I do sell prints on occasion and I dont own one, believe it or not.

Best

Boris

Nikon and Canon: negligible differences, both great cameras. D3100 is a great point and shoot camera and has more advanced features as well. I would look into it. A nice DSLR is a good thing to have.

Boris seems like he would no his stuff a lot more than I do, but I think he would agree.

Nikon and Canon: negligible differences, both great cameras. D3100 is a great point and shoot camera and has more advanced features as well. I would look into it. A nice DSLR is a good thing to have.

Boris seems like he would no his stuff a lot more than I do, but I think he would agree.

You are right, a DSLR is a nice thing to have, I am just concerned that $500 does not buy you much of a DSLR these days. There are tons of advanced amateur cameras within that range that would produce fantastic pictures without sacrificing any features that are omitted to keep the cost of the DSLR down.

BTW, once I know how his wife is going to use the camera, I intend to write to the photography list I belong to. Last time I checked, there were about 6000 members, so he is going to get some good advice plus my opinion for whatever it is worth...:)

Best

Boris

Well mostly recreational use, like vactions and pictures of this and that. But she has mentioned to me that one day she would like to do side work with photography, like family pictures and such. So i guess what im looking for is a camera that is worth buying that she can get a taste of photography to see if she likes it or not. Something to build on if that makes any sense haha.
Thanks for the replies!
Brandon

Oh and I forgot
I like to take pictures of landscapes, since my wife and I fly for free we are planning in the future to take some trips to europe on such. So I think that a camera that is versitile Day/night indoors/outdoors ect.
Brandon.

Sorry for the delayed response, but I wanted to be as objective as possible and give you the best advice I could. Also all this takes a lot of time.

I did some research and I also asked around as promised and here is what I can tell you:

The consensus amongst all the pros (myself excluded) is that your price is your limited factor. The truth is that $500 does not buy you much of a DSLR. The ones that you are looking at are going to be seven years long within a few months. This is a very long time when it comes to cameras, probably something like 40-50 years in car technology terms. Even with that, you are looking at the cheapest and most basic models that were available at the time, so they are even more obsolete now.

I was right when I suspected that everyone I know would try to steer you to go with advanced cameras. See, the reason the pros use DSLR's is for the quality of the pictures that the sensors produce. This is somewhat irrelevant though, because:

1. I dont know if you are old enough to remember film days, any of the cameras that you see recommended below would produce better images than film.

2. Sensor isnt only limiting factor when it comes to picture quality. It also depends on the quality of lens you put in front of it. Kit lenses for DSLR's are the lowest quality lenses you can buy. Do not underestimate the importance of using high quality lenses and how this contributes to the quality of images.

3. In reality, you start seeing difference in quality between images taken with advanced amateur cameras and DSLR's at sizes larger than 8X10. How many pictures do you have in your house that are bigger than 11X14? Yes, that is inches. At that size, you will need a magnifying glass to see the difference between DSLR and advanced amateur. If you want to enlarge to lets say 30X50, the difference would be more than obvious. Depending on the camera, the quality of pix that comes out of the latest advanced cameras, would be better than that of an old DSLR.

4. The lenses on the advanced cameras are usually top notch quality. You are mitigating the "kit lens factor" ie its like using expensive lenses which contributes greatly to the quality of the image. You will need to buy three different lenses for the DSLR to cover the range the advanced cameras cover.

5. Any advanced amateur camera will shoot HD video these days, so you are getting two cameras in one package.

6. The "pros" do not use cheap DSLR's. Their DSLRS have advanced features (but not all) that the advanced amateur cameras have. Such as: ability to do high speed shooting. This is what it means: If you have high-speed subjects, such as racing cars, kids playing games, sporting events, your camera needs to be able to focus really fast and then be able to take many pictures in no time. Then you choose the best one. The advanced cameras have so many features that would allow you to capture variety of images that the cheap DSLRs wouldnt. IMHO it is better to get an image even if it is not "pro" quality, rather than miss one just because your camera cannot capture it.

7. Articulating screen: important when you shoot over crowds, fences, very close to the ground, or just want to be discrete.

The list goes on and on and on.

Here are some suggestions put together from "worst to best":

Canon

http://www.dpreview.com/products/canon/compacts/canon_g1x

Well respected camera amongst people that like to put a camera in their shirt pocket. Lens has very limited zoom range. Accessory lenses exist, but they are not top glass and quality of image deteriorates significantly. Not as robust featurewise as the advanced amateur cameras.

Here is its Nikon equivalent. Same could be said about it, the one from Canon is much better.

http://www.dpreview.com/products/nikon/compacts/nikon_cpp7100

This is the type of camera everyone thinks would fit your needs:

Starting with this model:

http://www.dpreview.com/products/fujifilm/compacts/fujifilm_hs30exr

Very solid performer with a variety of high-end controls.

Its Panasonic equivalent:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-fz200/

Climbing up the ladder of quality and robustness, here is a nice camera from Canon:

http://www.dpreview.com/products/canon/compacts/canon_sx40hs

These two are only marginally better than it:

http://www.dpreview.com/products/fujifilm/compacts/fujifilm_xs1
http://www.dpreview.com/products/panasonic/compacts/panasonic_dmcfz150

Do not underestimate the Panasonics and Fuji's. They are emerging players in the field that have been slowly but steadily carving out marketshare from Canon and Nikon.

This is the one that came most recommended by pretty much everyone:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cyber-shot-dsc-hx200v/9

There is no one, absolutely no one in the current market that implements live view better than Sony. Live view is the most important photographic tool that you can imagine. All others are literally light years behind. There is one particular case of live view that is of most importance: you can see the picture as it is going to be taken in real time when you underexpose or overexpose it. Google overexposure and underexposure as applied to photographic creativity and you will see what I mean. GPS, the camera will tell you where the picture was taken..etc, etc Also, Sony's are the easiest cameras to use.

Once again, when you read quality of pictures, keep in mind that you will start seeing the defects they are talking about at printed image sizes of above 8X10 and you will need magnifying glass to see them...

Get one of these, have fun with it, produce some good images, see which features you need and like most and in three or four years buy a "pro" DSLR for work. Don't worry, you will be able to capture great 11X14 that would sell like cakes if your images are interesting.

If you still think you are going to go with an old DSLR, let me know, I will help you understand which one has more essential features.

Hope this helps

Best

Boris

Boris did a very nice job breaking things down and gave intelligent points. One thing he touched on and I can not stress enough is to put your money in the lens. You may be better off picking up a used DSLR body and get the Mrs a pro series lens. The kit lenses from any manufacturer are OK at best, but once you see the difference between a kit lens and a pro lens, the difference is "clear". I have learned this the expensive way! So, choose a brand that offers you a wide selection of lenses and go from there. DPreview.com that Boris mentioned does a fine job of giving unbiased reviews on camera equipment.

Best of luck on your search!

Brian

Wow I am very impressed with your information, thank you so so much for your time. I didn't know that there was a difference in the advanced cameras and DSLRs. I agree with what you are saying and I like the cameras you recomened looks like I'll spend a little more but that's why I started looking now so I can save up some dough. I'm more than willing to buy quality over price. Looks like I'll d
o some shopping and get one of those cameras. I do have one question about lens`. With these types of cameras, is there only one brand of lens for each brand of camra, or are there many brands of different price type and quality? Also, out of the box, are these ready to use ie memory card, lens? Or do I need to plan on getting those things before we can use them.
Once again thank you so much with this info, you've saved me a ton of headache.

Brandon

Most of the DSLR's do not come with a memory card, but a 16gb card can be had for less than $20. On the name brand DSLR's, most come with a decent lense that will meet 90% of all your needs. Aftermarket lenses are available but many can cost almost as much as the camera itself.

I used to be a professional photographer and I use a Nikon D5000 and find it quite capable and even overkill for most of what I do.

Jeepedo129,
Every DSLR manufacturer sells their own brand lens. Most every aftermarket lens manufacturer makes lenses for the major brand camera bodies. An important thing to know is that some lenses are designed for either full frame image sensors or the smaller image sensors. I know this all sounds overwhelming. Find a local camera store that you can trust and ask tons of questions and look at all of the brands. One step further, take the wifey to a camera class! Some camera dealers put on free classes with the hopes that you will buy from them. A good local shop is well worth the little extra money you pay for gear over buying on line. As far as memory cards go, bigger isn't always better. Faster is always better though! They come in different read/write speeds and if you get a fast card, you won't have to wait for the camera to digest the previous picture data before being able to take the next shot.
Keep us posted on your progress!

Back