• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need camera buying help

H8PVMT

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Looking to get the wife an SLR? Camera, the nice digital ones that you can get the different lenses for, budget is 450-500, been to the stores but no ones knows anything helpful about them and is rather not blow that much on a shitty one, anyone have experience with them that could help me out and possibly post pics or email them to me, I figure if I know what I want by Sunday night I could get a decent deal on Monday so I guess range could go up to 600 ish

Will be used to take pictures backpacking and taking photos of two small kids that move incredibly fast, wife isn't exactly the most careful with her stuff either

Thanks in advance

Doug

Nikon or Canon

I figured that much, looking for more specific models people have/have used

You'll be hard pressed to find a new SLR for that price. Go on eBay and look at some used ones. I have a Canon Rebel XTi with a Tamron lens. The camera body can be found for around $200-300 or so. Yes, it's used, yes, it's not the latest greatest, but it's a good camera. The cameras usually last for around 50k shutter clicks IIRC. Mine has around 12k.

For lens, you can either stick with the standard Canon 18-55mm kit lens, or you can buy a better one. The lens isn't bad, it just doesn't have much zoom to it. You can find a 55-250 for pretty cheap and get decent zoom out of it. I went with a Tamron 18-270 mm so as to have wide angle and zoom in one lens. Those ones are around 600 or so usually. I got mine for $400 as kind of a lucky break. My father in law was looking for one for himself for a while and couldn't find them under $600.

Ken Rockwell's site... uh-may-zing. Very useful and helpful info for a novice photographer. If you don't plan on getting another camera for awhile... spend a few more bucks and get a Nikon D90 or something similar.

We have a D60 and I wish it did more...

I just realized you were looking to buy on Monday... did you find one?

Didn't buy one yet but getting a Nikon d3100, buddies wife has it and it takes awesome photos

Just remember to get lots of practice, just shoot random stuff if you can't figure out what to shoot. It's more about the photographer than the camera. Also the lens. A crap lens will ruin your shots. I'm really happy with my Tamron. My father in law has read a lot about lenses in general, and has found Tamrons to be near the top.

In the same boat. My wife and I have a baby on the way and decided a nice DSLR would be a good Christmas gift. We have decided on the Nikon D7000.

Tamron's make decent glass for an aftermarket lense.... not as good as canon or nikon but good bang for the buck. Tokina is good too about the same as Tamron. Now if you want the best go German glass. ;) I have heard a lot of good things about the D90. I hope to get a 5D Mk II some day.... might have to settle for a 60D though.

I have no complaints about my Tamron. Recent tests have shown them to be actually equal to or better than equivalent Canon lenses. Plus, it's extremely flexible. I can get the lens within 2-3" of the subject and still focus, comes in handy when shooting bugs. :D Found a really neat mantis today.

Camera bodies don't matter. You will replace it every few years anyway as the tech gets better and better. Spend your money on lenses. Buy good glass from Cannon or Nikon, you will never be disappointed.

Also, look around at what your friends and family are shooting. If they are primarily Nikon shooters, buy a Nikon. If they are Canon guys then get a Canon. The quality difference between the two is negligible at best.

I got a Canon because that's what my step dad uses along with my sister in law and father in law. I figured we could share info and tips. Also, a good friend of mine who is starting a small photography business uses Canons. She's been very helpful figuring out how to use certain features.

I started with an xt, the first gen Rebel DSLR. Now I have an xti, and picture quality was most impacted by the Tamron lens. It gets better shots than my Canon 18-55 or 55-250, and it covers 18-270. I had no complaints about either, other than the limitations of the focal lengths, but the Tamron gives much better focusing up close.

Back