• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some advice.....

ColoradoRaptor

Headbanging Hillbilly
From anyone that knows about hydro assist setups. I am having an issue that I cannot figure out for the life of me. I am getting hydro assist turning left ( ram pushing ) and no assist turning right ( ram pulling ). The ram seems to have constant pressure ( pushing ) requiring me to keep pressure on the steering wheel so as to not drift left. I have checked the setup making sure that it is plumbed correctly, that the pump is working, my alignment is correct and steering setup is good. I have pulled the steering box apart twice looking for blockage or something and cannot find anything wrong.... The pump works just fine ( AGR high flow ) ......... I am at a loss here! And yes, I centered the new box and the ram. The ram is a 1.5 inch bore 8 inch stroke. You know who I got the box from and he does awesome work. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated as I am at my wits end with this damn thing! :mad:

constant pressure would more than likely be from the box...not the ram. even if it was bleeding by it wouldnt continue pushing the piston the other way.

BTW i have a YJ box that needs gone through and tapped for hydro assist. i have a nearly new one from tom ima need to unload when its done....if you're interested in going through a yj box....

there isnt much meat for the pipe thread in the steering box for one of the holes. it is possible that the fitting is threaded in enough that it blocks the flow in that passage, especially if you used teflon tape and it got wadded up in there.

Tear the ram apart and look for obvious damage or obstructions.

It's a brand new ram from Low Range Off-Road.... Not sure I want to tear it apart....

constant pressure would more than likely be from the box...not the ram. even if it was bleeding by it wouldnt continue pushing the piston the other way.

BTW i have a YJ box that needs gone through and tapped for hydro assist. i have a nearly new one from tom ima need to unload when its done....if you're interested in going through a yj box....

As I said tore the box apart twice.... and I have another one for rebuild and tap if necessary.

there isnt much meat for the pipe thread in the steering box for one of the holes. it is possible that the fitting is threaded in enough that it blocks the flow in that passage, especially if you used teflon tape and it got wadded up in there.

Thought of that already and checked. Made sure it was threaded in so as to not block the passage. That is however the port with the issue......

Thought of that already and checked. Made sure it was threaded in so as to not block the passage. That is however the port with the issue......
have you tried cracking that line at the ram to see if it is actually getting fluid from the box?
Also, have you tried steering with the new box with the plugs in it instead of the hydro lines? that should help narrow down issues with the box or ram.

have you tried cracking that line at the ram to see if it is actually getting fluid from the box?
Also, have you tried steering with the new box with the plugs in it instead of the hydro lines? that should help narrow down issues with the box or ram.

Thanks for the advice!! I will try what you suggest :thumbup:

any updates on this? i'd like to know what it was in case i or someone i know runs into the same problem.

could be a problem with the spool valve? maybe it has malfunctioned and is directing fluid pressure to one port/chamber rather than staying neutral while in the straight ahead position?

Update..... Sorry for not getting back right away but have been busy with work and trying to figure this issue out. Well, as it turns out, I have contacted Matt from West Texas Offroad as well as few local sources to find out that I have a bad box....... Matt said it was most likely the spool valve as mentioned by stroked88. I have another box from WTO in route to me now. This well planned steering upgrade has become an expensive pain in the ass...... Don't let the bad news steer you away from this mod as it is an impressive improvement and I do recommend it if you do not have it! As far as pics...... I will post something after I get this new box in. :smoker:

not suprised... isnt much to go wrong in the ram. glad you figured it out, thanks for the update.

Back