• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some Advice on a New Radius Arm Kit.

cher96

NAXJA Forum User
What would be the best way to mount this 5" to 12" Lift Long Arm Radius Arm Kit on to my new to me XJ? What Brackets should I go with? Right now I have his Short Arms on my old XJ and I absolutely love them. Instead of going with the RC Drop Brackets and Short Arms I thought maybe I would go with these instead. I think they are awesome. What do you think of them? How would you mount them up? Thanks.

I don't have a Photo to Post Up so you would have to go to this Site to take a look at them.

JEEP CHEROKEE XJ LONG ARM KIT 5-12" LIFT RADIUS ARMS
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120468013293&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Thanks again,

cher96 Vicki

well it looks like the seller of those leaves the hardest and probably one of the most critical parts of fabrication up to the buyer! i would think that you want something like the TNT/Treks belly skid/crossmember. how good are you with fabrication and how much do you trust your work? i guess thats what it really comes down to

if it were me... i would buy a full system

well it looks like the seller of those leaves the hardest and probably one of the most critical parts of fabrication up to the buyer! i would think that you want something like the TNT/Treks belly skid/crossmember. how good are you with fabrication and how much do you trust your work? i guess thats what it really comes down to

if it were me... i would buy a full system

Thanks for your thoughts.

I do like the TnT/Treks High Clearance Belly Pan, however, I just ordered a TC Skid Plate from Appalachian Armor.

I'm no good at Fabrication to tell you the truth. I have no idea on how to weld or manipulate plate. I usually pay a friend of mine to do that stuff for me.

I was thinking about Rock Krawler's Long Arm Brackets or something around like that but I hesitate because I think there must be a better bracket system than that out there.

Any ideas anyone?

Maybe using Ruffstuff Specialties' Chassis Link Brackets welded up to their XJ Chassis Channel Reinforcements? Common, help me out here, please. Thanks.

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/chassis-channel-reinforcement-p-291.html

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/chassis-bracket-p-125.html

normal_xj%20rails%20flat%20w%20cudjo.jpg

Chassis%20link%20brackets.jpg

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]XJ Critical Path Long Arm Upgrade [/FONT]
120908%2011.JPG
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Quantity in Basket: none
Code: IR-X_LAK
Price: $599.99
[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Adjustable Length: $100[/SIZE][/FONT] [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Quantity: [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]In Stock!

NOW HIGHER CLEARANCE AND BETTER TIRE CLEARANCE! We use an exclusive, non-binding, 3 link setup that has a pair of front long arms that will flex more than you thought possible. You WILL NOT bend these long arms as they are made from 5/16" wall DOM tubing. The bushings at the unibody are greasable super-flex joints that pivot to give as much suspension travel as your shocks will allow. We combine that with factory style rubber bushings at the axle for superior road noise and vibration dampening. As always, this kit is 100% bolt on! NO WELDING and only minor drilling is required for installation. No adjustment is necessary in any part except for our unique caster adjustment bracket that allows 7.5° of adjustability; plenty for any lift height from 4.5-8"!!

Why Fixed Length?
  1. Strength - With 2" x 5/16" wall DOM straight into the bushing tube, there are NO weak points on these control arms. The Iron Y is gusseted with 1/4" laser cut steel gusset for additional support. No threaded rod to rust, bend, mangle on rocks, or worse yet wear out and clunk!
  2. Control Arm/Axle Position - We have designed these arms to be the ideal length for your XJ for any lift between 4.5" and 8". Imagine you add our long arm upgrade to your 6" lift kit. Now 6 months later you want to go to 8" of lift. The axle will only be pulled back less than 1/4"! Remember, the arc that our ideal length long arm travels is always the same, meaning your tire will center perfectly in the wheel well on compression no matter what height lift you are running.
  3. Easiest Install - You can't get it wrong. You don't have to match your control arms or worry about setting the right length because that is done for you.
  4. SAVES YOU MONEY!!! - It costs us less to build so the savings get passed to you.
  • Kit Includes:
  • 1 Passenger side lower control arm.
  • 1 Iron-Y radius arm that connects to the upper and lower axle mounts.
  • 3 piece high clearance, steel subframe assembly with built in optional transfer case drop
  • All required hardware.
  • Installation instructions.

Still want adjustable length? Yes, they are available here. Click the checkbox above to add that option to your order.
BLACKHILLS07_135.jpg
XJlakit.jpg
[/SIZE][/FONT]

nuff said, i am extremely happy with mine!

I have to say if i wasn't a 3 link fanatic, i would not hesitate to run IRO's set up.that being said i like rockkrawlers 3 link.bye the time you buy frame stiffys and brackets,you could have bought a kit. how bad do you want the frame stiffys ? $399.00 good price if you can do your own fab.maybe ask andy if he can fab some brackets?

I have to say if i wasn't a 3 link fanatic, i would not hesitate to run IRO's set up.that being said i like rockkrawlers 3 link.bye the time you buy frame stiffys and brackets,you could have bought a kit. how bad do you want the frame stiffys ? $399.00 good price if you can do your own fab.maybe ask andy if he can fab some brackets?

I have been thinking about doing Stiffeners for quite some time (not that I need them in Florida LOL). At that time I just wanted something stronger to mount sliders against. I like overkill.

I was just a thinking that since this long arm radius arm kit came to my attention today... why not weld up a set of brackets to a pair of mounted stiffeners and install this long arm radius arm kit instead of drop brackets and the control arms from Andy I had planned on.

Does this seem like a viable plan?

Thanks

It's hard to tell from an ebay pic, but those arms look well built. That being said, if you already have drop brackets why not install them? I see your sig say 5" lift, I have 4.5" coils and I installed drop brackets. I am very pleased with the ride and also the performance off road, I'll eventually 3 link my rig, but for now I am satisfied. Good luck

Interesting read, well I just got off the phone with Andy and he's got a graphic design friend who is doing up some better pics for him that show the details. He said there's a lot of interest right now with his products and he's actually having a hard time getting them built with the amount of calls he keeps getting! I guess that's not a bad thing. Cher96 I now understand why you like IronMan products so much, it's very helpful to be able to call and talk straight to the owner of the company!

Oh and feel free to give him a call - his number (704) 796-3502

As far as the arms go,you do not want poly bushings.As far as mounting goes, I dont like to lose any ground clearance after spending alot of time/money getting my rig up there!

Poly bushings are rough riding. This spring I sold a 6 month old ZJ lift that used poly bushings and johnnie joints. The bumps came right through to the bone. I bought a Clayton long arm kit to replace it and I just ordered IROs Critical path long arm kit for my XJ. Both kits use rubber bushings at the axles. Much nicer.

the guy is a nice guy, ive met him in person. im running his upper adj arms. seem pretty solid my jeep has been out of commision for some time now haha.

I talked to him and cher both about the bushings he uses and both said thier is no squeeking road noise or harshness normally associated with poly bushings. due to the design. look close at them, they have a radius which keeps bushing from being in constant contact with mount. Cher has run them personally and said they flex excellent and are as quiet as rubber..also haven't hear these complaint from people who run BDS suspension either and they use polt also..it is and will be the replacement for rubber as designs and compounds get better.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I do like the TnT/Treks High Clearance Belly Pan, however, I just ordered a TC Skid Plate from Appalachian Armor.

I'm no good at Fabrication to tell you the truth. I have no idea on how to weld or manipulate plate. I usually pay a friend of mine to do that stuff for me.

I was thinking about Rock Krawler's Long Arm Brackets or something around like that but I hesitate because I think there must be a better bracket system than that out there.

Any ideas anyone?

hey man, I have the skid plate from Appalachian Armor but I got mine on ebay from Bruce, the same guy who runs AA. He's still up and running right? I haven't seen him on ebay in a while and his appalachian armor web's forum hasn't had any activity lately. I love his skid and want to buy more stuff from him.

why is everyone afraid of Poly bushings???

Poly bushings are rough riding. This spring I sold a 6 month old ZJ lift that used poly bushings and johnnie joints. The bumps came right through to the bone. I bought a Clayton long arm kit to replace it and I just ordered IROs Critical path long arm kit for my XJ. Both kits use rubber bushings at the axles. Much nicer.

Its not about noise/ride,its because you cant run a "hard" joint with a radius arm set-up.If it were a 3 or 4 link set-up(or a radius arm with 1 upper removed) you would be fine.

hey man, I have the skid plate from Appalachian Armor but I got mine on ebay from Bruce, the same guy who runs AA. He's still up and running right? I haven't seen him on ebay in a while and his appalachian armor web's forum hasn't had any activity lately. I love his skid and want to buy more stuff from him.

I just ordered a TC Skid Plate from him 5 days ago through PMing him. He said he was getting a bunch of skids fabbed up. I'm not sure what else he has.

Here is his vendor thread: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1003548

Hope this helps.

cher96 Vicki

If it were me I would build a custom crossmember with the mounts installed but since you are not gonna be able to fab it up, I would look at the RE mounts.

Thanks. A couple more questions everyone.

What would be the best designed custom crossmember to mount these within the frame rails?
If you have something previously posted up... please post up the thread. Thanks.
If you have an idea to share... post that up, too. Thanks.

Or, besides the RE mounts, are there other prefabbed mounting systems can I use where I can place the mounts inside the frame rails?

I like to be able to have choices so I can be able to make a decision that will best work out for me.

Thanks,

cher96 Vicki

Last edited:
Here is a Larger Photo of Iron Man 4x4's Long Arm Radius Arms if that would help. You can see the Tapered Bushings and Flex-Joints better. Since some seem to be worried about his Bushings on other threads. Here are BDS Bushings BDS uses in their Kits. I believe he said he orders his Bushings and Flex-Joints from BDS.

BDS Bushings:

acc_bushingsleeves.jpg

Iron Man Long Arms:

2guglxs.jpg

Back