• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need pickup truck suggestions

silent_bob_662001 said:
stop posting a pic aaasshtt. he wants to buy a good,reliabale, truck, not look at pic's of your POS.

:rattle:

100_3699.jpg

100_2100-1.jpg

100_4038-1.jpg

shelbyluvv said:
I say go this way too, I just picked this truck up for $5000. It is a V10 5 speed though. I towed a 7000# trailer for 300 miles and only used 3/4 tank of gas figure about 11 mpg not bad really. I figure the extra cost of oil changes and price of a diesel engine are easily offset with the V10's price.
Cost of oil changes? A $9 filter and $27 worth of oil every 7,500 miles on my CTD.

I've already put 110,000 miles on my CTD since I bought it 3 years ago. The plan is to go a half million. I'd hate to be paying to fill a V10 with those miles.

Beej said:
Maybe I'm being devil's advocate, but from the list above, you need:

1. A late 80's Honda Civic

2. Your XJ

3. Your XJ and a utility trailer

4. A good friend with a pickup or renting a pickup (depending how often)

5. Your XJ

:dunno:

I understand what you are saying.
Maybe Ive just got the bug for something different, I dont know. I do know that we have 4 vehicles and thats one too many, three of which are Jeeps (YJ, TJ and the XJ). We also have an 06 Kia that is our econo box.
I do in fact have a nice utility trailer already and it gets tons of use.
The YJ was always our weekend playtoy and the XJ was my DD. Offroading used to be our #1 hobby but to be honest, we dont enjoy it much anymore. My wife still likes going topless (watch it) so we are keeping her baby (TJ) as well as the Kia because it get 37MPG.
I bought my XJ new 11 years ago. I traded in my pickup for it. The XJ has been great but theres always been a part of me that missed the functionalility of a pickup. The ability to just throw crap in the back, stretch out and sleep in the bed on trips, make camp by just pulling off the road. We have also been tossing around the idea of doing some remodeling and construction so the bed would be very handy. Most of the towing I would be doing is pulling a trailer with my 2700lbs tractor on it (total weight of around 4700) but I would like the option of towing the TJ if we need to. Barrowing and renting is not something I like doing.
I agree that a 3/4 ton would be nice but what little I would need a 3/4 ton, it doesnt seem worth the extra cost of ownership. I have had an F350 PS, so I know it does cost more to keep a heavier truck running, and god forbid something goes wrong with a diesel ($$$$$$), Just open the checkbook and start writing.

Ray H said:
I understand what you are saying.
Maybe Ive just got the bug for something different, I dont know. I do know that we have 4 vehicles and thats one too many, three of which are Jeeps (YJ, TJ and the XJ). We also have an 06 Kia that is our econo box.
I do in fact have a nice utility trailer already and it gets tons of use.
The YJ was always our weekend playtoy and the XJ was my DD. Offroading used to be our #1 hobby but to be honest, we dont enjoy it much anymore. My wife still likes going topless (watch it) so we are keeping her baby (TJ) as well as the Kia because it get 37MPG.
I bought my XJ new 11 years ago. I traded in my pickup for it. The XJ has been great but theres always been a part of me that missed the functionalility of a pickup. The ability to just throw crap in the back, stretch out and sleep in the bed on trips, make camp by just pulling off the road. We have also been tossing around the idea of doing some remodeling and construction so the bed would be very handy. Most of the towing I would be doing is pulling a trailer with my 2700lbs tractor on it (total weight of around 4700) but I would like the option of towing the TJ if we need to. Barrowing and renting is not something I like doing.
I agree that a 3/4 ton would be nice but what little I would need a 3/4 ton, it doesnt seem worth the extra cost of ownership. I have had an F350 PS, so I know it does cost more to keep a heavier truck running, and god forbid something goes wrong with a diesel ($$$$$$), Just open the checkbook and start writing.

Well, after seeing this, I'm with you. Sounds like maybe you'd need a change. Hell, we bought a beat up little S15 last year and I still can't believe all the use its seen...

Beej said:
Sounds like maybe you'd need a change. ...

Maybe I do just need a change. Weve had a blast offroading the Jeeps for the past 8 years but it just seems like a PITA anymore. With the price of gas, having to drive for hours just to find mediocre trails or pay at a private offroad park to fourwheel with hundreds of other people. It just feels like its time to move on. Thats for a whole other thread though.
Now I guess its time to start shopping. Im leaning towards a 1/2 ton Hemi. Seems like a cool toy. Anyone heard anything bad about the 5.7 Hemis?

shelbyluvv said:
I towed a 7000# trailer for 300 miles and only used 3/4 tank of gas figure about 11 mpg not bad really.

Those gas mileage figures seem pretty far off, in the new Diesel Power magazine they did a test of two brand new Ford F-250's 6.4L Power Stroke and the 6.8L V-10 Triton. These are both brand new trucks at the highest point of Gas crying in recent years and the V-10 averaged 12.55 MPG on the highway with cruise control on without a load. While the Power Stroke averaged 15.74 with a little bit of weight in the bed. I've driven my friends 2000 2500 V-10 and the thing managed 7-8 MPG while towing his trailer out of Alaska last month all the way to Florida. If you can imagine the extra cost of 13-15 Fuel MPG to 7-8 Gas MPG including the difference in costs of the Fuel, it would be quite substantial. My current Cummin's is my first Diesel and I am hooked from now on. My Chevy 1500 with a 302 5.0 V-8 got the same gas mileage as my current Dodge 359 I-6 does without a load and close to double with a load. If you are really looking to tow a lot then I wouldn't buy a gas guzzler. My 2 cents.

Tyler-
:soapbox:

Steps down.

silent_bob_662001 said:
stop posting a pic aaasshtt. he wants to buy a good,reliabale, truck, not look at pic's of your POS.

And these are for you, for you pointless flame. Go back to Pirate.
Dodge2500001.jpg

Dodge2500002.jpg

Can I play? I mean, it is my thread.
Heres my 97 PSD that I had. That thing was a beast.
trucktractor.jpg

I drive the V10 daily 24 miles round trip and only use a 1/4 tank per week. My last V10 was an auto and it got horrid milage. This new (the 96) V10 is a gas sipper. I think the fact that I do not speed, it's a stick, and I keep my foot out of it helps. Now if I stand on it I can watch the gas drop.

shelbyluvv said:
I drive the V10 daily 24 miles round trip and only use a 1/4 tank per week. My last V10 was an auto and it got horrid milage. This new (the 96) V10 is a gas sipper. I think the fact that I do not speed, it's a stick, and I keep my foot out of it helps. Now if I stand on it I can watch the gas drop.

How big is your tank? Just curious you keep saying it uses 1/4 tank, or 3/4 tank, which really means nothing. I use over a full tank in my 32 mpg car per week, so it gets worse gas mileage than your v10? See what I mean?

36 gal, so I use roughly 9 gallons a week. I know this is not diesel fuel milage by no means. But for a 3/4 ton, 4X4, on 33's with a 3" lift. I am rather impressed.

This:
DSCF1578.jpg

Tows This:
DSCF2812.jpg

2005 hemi ram 1500 4x4
Jeep and trailer weigh in at almost 6000lbs. I towed it once without the trailer breaks though and that was a little scary.

Now thats what Im talking about. How uch you want?
Im glad to hear it pulls the XJ well. How has it been as far as mechanically?
How long is your bed? 6' or 6.5'?
Do you know if the quadcab has the same length bed?

It has been very sound mechaniclly. I have put 30k hard miles on it towing and drag racing it. The truck has around 200 passes down the 1/4 mile on it and I havn't broken anything yet. If your going to tow I would look for one with 3.92 gears and 17" wheels. That will get it up and moving a little better then having the big heavy factory 20's. The bed is 6.3ft and it is the same for a quad cab. You can also get a quadcab with a longbed. Also the standard motor in the 2500 is the hemi so by the time you add the hemi option to the 1500 the 2500 isn't much more.

Back