• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need input from Iowans...

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
Ok, here is the deal.

I grew up in eastern Iowa...Lisbon, to be exact. I left there for Tennessee about 15 years ago.

I found out this morning I need to be in Cedar Rapids on August 30 (a Monday) for work.

I am thinking of driving back to Lisbon and getting there in time for the Friday night football game at my alma mater.

That leaves Saturday and Sunday with nothing planned.

If I drive, I would drive my trail rig so I could do some wheeling on Saturday.

Questions...is there any place to wheel within an hour or 2 of Cedar Rapids? Are there any 4x4 or Jeep clubs in the CR area that might be holding a trail run?

I tried to contact TrailHogs out of Solon, but their domain name is not registered anymore. I looked at the website for Central Iowa 4 Wheel something and they are doing a trail clean up over near the Missouri River that day. I don't want to drive that far.

If I can't wheel while I am there, I am just going to fly up and rent a car. If I can spend the better part of a day or two behind the wheel enjoying backwoods Iowa, that 1200 mile round trip drive in a lifted jeep without air on 31" MTs won't be so bad.

Thanks in advance...

This is 2 1/2 hours away but it is the weekend of Aug 28 and 29
(if you don't mind wheeling with a bunch of Land Cruisers)
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...9972398328_272479413328_3448549_5431975_n.jpg

I found it over on the MIOBI website. It's listed in the forums section
http://www.miobi.org/main.htm

The wheeling is more mudding than anything else but I saw you had MTs so you will do better than I did there with my ATs :)

Let me know if you drive the XJ and plan to go. We could caravan over there.

MIOBI and JOCCI are about it in this state that has 'land' and you must be a member to wheel, or get in at an event like posted. I'm prez of MIOBI, go by xjmjguy on the website and you(anyone) can e-mail me any questions at [email protected]

With that a new club has started up in the 'loo area by the name of Damage Inc(not sure of web addy) but they can be found over on IA4WDC.org(or is it .com?).

Hope you can make it down for some fun but body damage does happen when muddy but if its dry a jeep can do almost anything.

Thanks,
Andy Stock, prez of MIOBI

Hey Cottontail,

As Andy mentioned, most 4wd clubs in this area require you to be a part of a club to wheel. I don't think it would be worth you paying membership fees for only a day or two of wheeling, but that's up to you. If you decide to, I am a member of JOCCI and I'm sure we could schedule a run to "The Farm".

Even if you don't wheel, I think it would be cool to do like a meet and greet type deal. I have been on NAXJA since late '04 and I remember talking to you in posts over the years, I'd like to meet you in person. Keep us posted on your trip.

-Collin

If a M&G comes together and I am free, you know the Cheeseman Clan will be in attendance.

Hey Cottontail,

As Andy mentioned, most 4wd clubs in this area require you to be a part of a club to wheel. I don't think it would be worth you paying membership fees for only a day or two of wheeling, but that's up to you. If you decide to, I am a member of JOCCI and I'm sure we could schedule a run to "The Farm".

Even if you don't wheel, I think it would be cool to do like a meet and greet type deal. I have been on NAXJA since late '04 and I remember talking to you in posts over the years, I'd like to meet you in person. Keep us posted on your trip.

-Collin

Thanks guys....I have been on the website for the Tall Corn Cruisers weekend at the MIOBI land down in Hamilton. I am considering doing that event.

Collin, does JOCCI require anyone that wheels with them to pay full dues as a visitor, or if there was a run set up, would the visiting particiapnt just pay entry fees to the land? The Tall Corn Cruisers deal is primarily a Toyota event, and I would prefer to wheel with Jeeps. Where is "the Farm?" What is the wheeling like...tight trails and backwoods, mostly mud?

If I don't wheel, I won't bring the Jeep up, but may still be interested in a M & G with some Cedar Rapids area XJers....

Anyway, I'm still working on the Jeep. I was in the May ROM voting (came in 4th) so you can see the rig on that thead it you are interested. I also have posts of my workspace in the "Show me your garage" thread, and, as soon as I get around to it, will post in the "Cargo area" thread on the Mod Tech.

Plans for the next 12-24 months include a Ford 8.8 rear axle and re-gear to 4.11 or 4.56 and then another 2" lift (get me to 5.5"), SYE and shaft, sliders, and 33" tires.

Thanks for all the responses guys...

Back