• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need info

I called Portland comppressor today and the guy told me I would need to install my convelesing water filter 25' from the pump. That is the only way it would work properly. I may have to do an ARB or VIA air.
I think that is mostly for heat dissipation. I run my oil/water separator like eight inches off the outlet port of the compressor. As you witnessed while airing up, it lets some oil through. Now that may be because it's from Harbor Freight, but I also think a lot of it has to do with heat.

I've thought about adding a second inline separator, but it doesn't really bother me. Just gives me the peace of mind knowing my rims aren't rusting from the inside out. :D

I've also heard the figure of "three feet" be tossed around as well, so who knows what the exact figure is. I think it depends on the setup and separator being used.

You could run the ARB's off an ARB mini compressor, and then run a CO2 setup for tire needs.

In my XJ.. it was a no Brainer.. the factory system had not been charged in years.. and the $300 to convert it did not sound appealing.. I like A/C.. but the idea of running a 1/2" Impact on the trail sounded GREAT..

Now.. on the ZJ..I have all the pieces to do it.. But i am having "cold feet" for now i have a very slow tire pump.. but the A/C is also very integrated into the automatic Climate control..

i have a small fire extinguisher that i've converted into an air bottle, when i'm running air tools i plug it inline. it gives me enough volume for some short bursts with the impact.

when i'm using the compressor i stick a penny or dime under my throttle bracket. i try to get around 2000 RPM

when i'm airing up tires i don't use the bottle because it runs non stop till i'm done. if i don't use the bottle the compressor will shut off between tires.

i used to run an air filter, then mini oiler, before the compressor but i took the filter off. any time i'm using the compressor i'm stopped, and it was restricting the flow a lot, making the pump work harder, and because of the decreased flow it also didn't pull as much oil from the oiler.

as long as you keep your pump oiled it will last a long time but they have a very short life if they start to run dry.

the higher rpms you run while using the compressor also decrease the life span.

i learned that the hard way trying to fill up everyones tires in a timely fashion.

now its just me first, then my cousin if he needs, and then whoever is next in line. i encourage everyone to bring their own compressor no matter how crappy or slow it is. even if they only have one tire done by the time i get to them it lessens the strain on my pump.

i highly recommend this conversion, air tools on the trail are an awesome thing. don't get a crappy impact though. even with my system set at a max pressure of 250psi my impact still wont loosen lug nuts.

the second alternator setup for welding is extremely appealing too :D

Back