• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help with my bonehead move.

Ok so I put 2 of the 3 bolts back in and drive to the store to grab something.The next day I continue putting on the brackets and bumper.As I remove the 2 bolts I noticed they are really bent even though I did tighten them.Could the whole steering box have flexed that much without the 3rd bolt in?

You might still be safe but yes, it needs all three bolts. If you're lucky you only bent those bolts but I would take them out and check the spacer between the box and frame to make sure you didn't crunch it. Then go out and get replacement Grade 8 bolts and bolt all three up.

PS - You should stop going to the store, it's bad for your Jeep.

I got the old grade 8 hardware from my steering box u can have, maybe want to borrow a car to come pick it up though.

*although if you're bolting up tie in brackets they may not be long enough. OSH has a surprisingly good selection of grade 8 hardware if there's one near you.

if its leaking alot, sure. if its a mild drip once in a while, I wouldnt worry about it. ACE has a much better selection of grade 8 bolts than Home Depot. A trick I used to align the box while putting in the bolts was to use a small rachet strap around the box anchored by a 2x4 resting on the header and valve cover

remove the pitman arm and count the steering rotations to the left and to the right to get the sector and output centered and reinstall the pitman.
if its still off you might also need to re-adjust your draglink.

Back