• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help with hood vents

O i was back at ORielly's today and i checked the price of those scoops and they were like 90 bucks, i guess i didnt remeber them being that expensive... eather the went up or i was so entranced by how flippin sweet they were i didn't care lol!

Mines a 89 4 door, best pic i got

nodoors.jpg

OOOoooo i want a set of tube doors so bad, i havent found a set for the 2door, and obviously, since i have troubles cutting a hole in my hood, i dont have the tools to build or modify my own, does anyone know where i can get some? Are thos supernerfs on your rig or do u use something else i think those will be my next major mod, there expensive tho.

O.K. so i realize it has been a long time but i figure i'd post an update. I taped some yarn across the top section of my hood, so that they would flutter in the wind as i drove, (like when you tie paper stripps to a fan) to see how the air flowed over the hood, and to see if air was sucked into the engine bay by the scoops. I was pleasantly suprised at how well the worked, at speeds as low as 25MPH the yarn an inch or so in front of the vents actually turned right around and blew into the scoops. It was really pretty cool to watch, they seemed to defy laws of physics. The hood continued to induct nicely up to about 70, which is the fastest i went, altho i dont see any reason it would change at higher speeds. I would say that it looked like i was really sucking in a lot of air too. The yarn going into the scoop seemed to be fluttering just as fast as the yarn taped to the very top. This was definitley much cheaper than buying a cowl hood. I wish i had some temp readings so i could see if there is any disernable change in under-hood temps but i dont see why there wouldnt be at least some change. I am very satisfied with the result, thank you all for your help as well.

O.K. so i realize it has been a long time but i figure i'd post an update. I taped some yarn across the top section of my hood, so that they would flutter in the wind as i drove, (like when you tie paper stripps to a fan) to see how the air flowed over the hood, and to see if air was sucked into the engine bay by the scoops. I was pleasantly suprised at how well the worked, at speeds as low as 25MPH the yarn an inch or so in front of the vents actually turned right around and blew into the scoops. It was really pretty cool to watch, they seemed to defy laws of physics. The hood continued to induct nicely up to about 70, which is the fastest i went, altho i dont see any reason it would change at higher speeds. I would say that it looked like i was really sucking in a lot of air too. The yarn going into the scoop seemed to be fluttering just as fast as the yarn taped to the very top. This was definitley much cheaper than buying a cowl hood. I wish i had some temp readings so i could see if there is any disernable change in under-hood temps but i dont see why there wouldnt be at least some change. I am very satisfied with the result, thank you all for your help as well.

What brand/type of scoops are you using? Where are they placed?

Thanks.

The scoops are from Auto Ventshade they are the "medium" scoops, I bought them at the local OReilly's for somethin like 90 bucks. The opening sits 9 inches from the top of the hood. I hadn't done any testing before sticking them to the hood so i couldn't tell you if this is the best placing for the most airflow, from what i saw the could sit further up, but not really further down.

With no mechanical fan to move the air, I raise the hood with some 1" spacers. I do not like the way it look. I cannot say how many times I had friends and strangers alike try to push the back of the hood down thinking it is open. Wait a minute, it is open, 1" all the way across the back. :(

I want to add some vents/scoops instead of the spacers. I would prefer not use the full hood.

Im suprised the spacers moved enough air through the radiator to keep you from overheating. I would expect my rig to overheat without the mech. fan. But thats just me. I dont think the scoops would do it. Is the fan working now?

i did this for five bucks didnt wont to cut the holes out made a 1 inch spacer kit
afterspacer.jpg

Yea, that's how my XJ is but I want to change it,... return it to the OEM position. Are those scoops? What brand are they? The open end seem to be looking forward instead of backwards. I always thought the backwards looking ones were better for removing the hot air from the engine room.

Shermano8:... No raising the hood did nothing (not directly) to the engine temperature but the under hood temperature dropped by 20+ *. That have got to be good for the hoses, plastics etc's.

I made 1/4" spacers and I just got hood vents. That and if you have not done remove the stupid factory hood blanket and the hood seal in the rear of the hood.

To clean those cuts up nice you need a dremel or a 3" high speed air powered die cutter. Thats how I will cut mine.

yea thay are hood scoops i didnt put m on they were like that when i got m here are some pics i didnt cut m out becouse of mud splashing over the hood i might do it some time i dont really like m but i dont wont to remove m

jeep1-2.jpg

Back