• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help with hood vents

sherman08

NAXJA Forum User
I got a pair of those stick on ventshade style hood scoops a while back, (im sure uve seen them or the like before). I decided to mount them backwards, like a cowl, mainly to look different from all the silverados with them on. evnetually I decided it was tupid not to open them up to get some vent action going so i drilled holes through the "vent area" and used a hole saw to cut up into the scoop through the hood. I found myself very disapointed with the amount of airflow coming out of the vents. I didnt figure they would actually work as a cowl at speed but expected to at least have some hot air coming out when it was sitting. If anyone has any ideas, or knows what other people have done i would love ideas. I was thinking mabe little electric fans under the scoops?

JEPS.jpg

you can kinda see them in this pick, if you need more i can get them i guess.

102_0222.jpg

102_0223.jpg

I realize i havent removed much material from the hood or from the vents, i guess i was hoping i wouldnt have to. I dont have a lot of tools so i figured getting a hole saw would be cheaper than a cutting wheel, should i shell out the cash to open them up some more?

Open the scoops too, can you get some tin snips for the hood? Cut the flat part out of your scoop where you have drilled.. That will help alot..Do not cut the brace, just the sheet metal

I didnt think of tin snips, it seems a little heavy for those tho, i dont want it to look chewed up or anything, also i was wondrin if i should make something to keep water out, or do you think it wont be a problem. I live in Wyoming i rarely see any moisture to speak of.

I used my snips to do my fenders, i do sheet metal for a living...It looks like you will have a 1/4" on the bottom of your scoop when your done..Find a friend that has a drimmel to cut your scoops..

I picked them up at the local O'Rielly's during one of my weekly pilgrimages, i dont remember how much they cost, try a google for "Ventshade" or "Lund" i think they have a good selection.

chance_p said:
cut out that entire half oval shape with a dremel. also cut the hood with a dremel or some snips. where did you buy those at btw?

I too like them. I need to do the same on my XJ. What vehicle are they from?

I 2nd the suggestion from everyone else. You need to have larger holes in the hood and open the scoop as wide as is possible.

There not from a specific vehicle there a generic part, if i remember corectly those are the "medium" length scoops they also make longer ones but im not sure how they would fit on an XJ. Every once in a while someone will pass me in an XJ and turn there head, I guess they dont really stand out as much as you would think they do.

Ok so i hacked out more of the hood with a pair of tin-snips and cut out the scoop ports. I can definitely feel some heat coming from the scoops now, ill test later to see if the will actually induct at speed, im not initirely optimistic but i guess it could happen LOL.
102_0224.jpg

i think some touch-up paint sould make these things look ok.

102_0225.jpg

This is going to need more than touch up paint... i did a hack job, i guess im looking for someones grinder i can borrow, i should be able to clean them up nicely eventually.
If anyone else has any ideas as to how i can optimize airflow through these puppies im all ears. Thanks for all of thos who helped.

sherman08 said:
i did a hack job

naw. looks fine. it's under the hood, not like it shows. the only part that shows is the back of the "cowl." it's a vehicle, so it'd be nice if it was pretty, but IMHO, functional is more important.

Hot air will leave now.. Try to clean it up a little under the hood... Don't want to hit your head on the hooks.. Nice job for your first time....

Wouldn't it have been easier to just pull them off, trim the openings and maybe hole saw another hole in the hood. For the cost of some 3M Doubleside tape to stick them back down, that looks like a lot of extra labor...........end result works though.

Yea the NAXJA forums and my Hanes manual tought me everything i know, i wish there were more jeepers in my area, and my dad just dosent understand the Jeep Thing lol. i hate his silverado HA!, my next mod will be removeble doors hopefully at the same time i have the grinder for the hood i can cut some hinges.

sherman08 said:
Yea the NAXJA forums and my Hanes manual tought me everything i know, i wish there were more jeepers in my area, and my dad just dosent understand the Jeep Thing lol. i hate his silverado HA!, my next mod will be removeble doors hopefully at the same time i have the grinder for the hood i can cut some hinges.

Looks good for what tools you have.

Use a drimel for the doors it is a tight space and have a BFH and chisle. I just finished cutting mine off today. It took a long time because my drimel kept overheating and I had to take off the little caps and mess with the pices in it to get it working again. Depending on how your hinge is assembles I had a solid pin presed into the hinge. I cut the bottom part off and hammered off the pice. But the passenger side they used the same hinge but fliped it so the hinge had to be cut free and then I cut the pin.

PM me and I can send you some pics later this week. Hiting some trails tomarow I will try to remember to snap a few pics of the hinge.

You will need some tools for that job.. I used a saw zaw to cut my pins for the doors, then removed.. Thats the hard part... Do you have pawn shops? Check them out if you do

I was under the impression that you left the pins as is, i knew you had to flip the passenger side pin over, i figured id run it by the badyshop abd have them weld it back in, i know the owner well and sometimes he lets me do my own work if the shops not full.

Back